1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blazer_kid, Jul 30, 2016.

1. blazer_kid

blazer_kid Member

I know there is a million topics on best battery. I've read most of them and took all the info in I do have one question. I seem to see everyone run optima red tops in gas and yellow top in diesel. Why is this? I have a 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 and a bigger altonator running an old cable western plow.. I currently have a red top that's almost 10 years old that's going out. I thought maybe a yellow would be betterthanks for any help guys.
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Just get the largest capacity battery for your truck. If you got that many years out of that battery. Just replace with the same part#. I do not put in anything special, and I have never had a problem. But I also keep up on my maintenance.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

On a maintenance free battery........:confused::confused:
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, just like my maintenance free wife!!!
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I guess I'm an odd ball, I had a yellow top on my gasser.
    Fyi.....there was a few threads about the quality of the newer optimas, might want to do a search on that.
    As Randall said, if you keep up on maintenance so time speak you should be ok with a regular acid battery
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. Just go buy a battery.
  7. blazer_kid

blazer_kid Member

Thanks guys I spent a couple hours readinthreadads. That's why I didn't ask the typical what battery. I just saw in more then one that for the most part guys would run red tops in gas and yellow tops in diesel but couldn't see any reason as to why guys do that.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So this is a gas vs diesel, red or yellow Q
    And of course you know diesels can be power pigs to start in the cold

Where are you when you see all of these trucks?
    Are they all owned by the same guy?
    At the local hang out, blasting tunes?
    Some guys buy them becuse of the prity colors.

What's the diffrence In colors?
    I think I used a yellow top one time, it was short lived.and a long time ago.

As mentioned and I'm sure you have read,
    Their quality has diminished.
    Get the batt with the most cca, that will fit in your truck.
    Then if you want a deeper pool to draw from add a 2nd batt.

what size batt are you Useing now and why ?
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016