1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Feb 3, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a chev truck I bought with a new batterh with side post. Do they make an adapter to screw on your post so you can hook up excessories? I don't want to hack up my factory harness. I checked with the napa guy we flipped through the catalog couldnt find any thing. I was thinking of a adapter that screws on your battery that gives you both top post as well than I can hook up the plow harness.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use a 3/8 coarse thread bolt about 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" long, full thread. Run a nut down the bolt to the head. Put the bolt through the cables, thread the bolt into the battery until it's snug, then tighten down the nut against the battery terminal. Works great and prevents you from stripping the battery terminal.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Tow ready makes them.

post.JPG

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they are called a diesel battery post

Part Number: NW 728221

Product Line: NAPA Wire Products

5. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Cool! Thanks! I did the bolt thing as I happen to have this in my garage. This will work for now since I need the truck tonight. But I will buy these this week. These are probly a better set up since copper is a better electrical conductor.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

They sell them at Menards, I have used them before, work great.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. Those extenders are junk!!! I have taken off so many due to stripping,,, do what 2 said that's the best and cheapest

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

when it comes to a lead thread in a battery, anything can be stripped with too much torque, or improper length

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I have had great luck with 3/8 bolts and a nut like 2 said

10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Get a battery that has side terminals and top posts. Retain your OEM connection and have complete unfettered access to top posts...works great.

What year is your Chevy? It may have a terminal box made for hooking up heavy duty accessories. Follow the positive wire and look for a red box.

11. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Most GMs offer a terminal box. There are group 75 batteries that offer both the side terminal and top post.

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Follow the wire and hook your accessories up to the OTHER END.