1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Protection Systems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by paradise1229, Jan 18, 2009.

1. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

I have a 1996 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel and was wondering if it would be ok to put this on?
    http://www.galls.com/google/style.ht...og&style=VP007
    I would I need just 1 or would I need 2?

Mt dad wants to put it on his 1994 Chevy Blazer. I have never used it. There are some police officers that I know has them in thier vehicles. I figured that if they have them, they must be good to use. I just thaught it would be a good idea since my dad ran the idea by me since he wants one on his vehicle.

2. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

one or two of what?

3. speedy

speedy Senior Member

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

For cops it's great for leaving lights on extended times without the engine running- the thing is proper procedure is leave the engine running....

I don't know how well that would hold up with the immense draw from a plow...
    Not to mention it's really unnecessary. If the batteries are so bad that you can;t restart after stalling it while plowing, this thingy is not going to help you.

5. paradise1229

6. paradise1229

That's not the issue with me here. I think the 11 degree weather is effecting the batteries.
    They are a little low this morning. Truck turns over but not run. I'm thinking about a power drain too.

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

didnt you just put 2 new batteries in the truck? i started mine at 230 this morning it was 2 degrees and was not pluged in. cycled the glow plugs twice and it fired right up. if the batteries were low this morning you have something drawing on them.

8. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

for shats and giggles, unplug all the plow wiring up front.

With the old batteries, it sat for 3 weeks without running and started right up, then sat for 2 more weeks and fired right up while driving it for 3 days prior to you taking it. Maybe something with that pump is draining. Undo the big red/black wire and the 3 small wires, even undo the light wiring for the plow lights. See what happens.

And do like alan said. I found the best was leave the plugs on for 1-1.5min crank for maybe 5 second, let the plugs go again for atleast a minute and it should fire right up. I started it in 10 degree weather earlier this winter without it being plugged in like that.

9. paradise1229

I have it on charger right now.
    Alan & Kurt, The plow pump? I didn't fix it or hook it up yet. Thats' all the pump wires. Both Batts are NEW. I will try what you just said. Starter checked out fine.
    As soon as poosible, If I can get it to a shop, It's getting checked out for drain.

Another thread here said something about a fuel switch under the passenger side kick panel?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  10. paradise1229

PS Kurt, Having a herd time disconnecting the plow lights. Won't come apart. If you can, call me. I'm going out right now to try Cycling the Glow Plugs a few mins.
    Also seems like it won't start with out it pugged in at night.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009