1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery problems...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 87chevy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Is there anything I can do to keep the batteries in the plow truck from freezing? Maybe start it more. These are 2 years old and they froze, won't turn the truck over, even after being charged for an hour. Any help is appreciated
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Ill check into that. Thanks, would these still be usable if i brought them inside to thaw?
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

When you get the truck started , put a voltmeter on it when its running with lights, wipers heater, everything you use etc on and check the voltage reading, should be high 12V , or in the 13V range. If that checks out okay, replace the battery (s). Also check to see if there is a draw on the battery when the truck is off. Ya could be losing voltage somewhere
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A non charged batterie will freeze. What is the temp where the truck is?
  7. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Get a small trickle charger with about 5 amp output, put it on when the truck is sitting when you go to start it the battery(s) will be warm and strong. Don't try to charge a frozen battery it can explode!!! I asume your charging system is working and has enough output under load to keep the battery(s) charged. Like most vehicles nowadays there is always a small drain from the memories for the computer, radio and stuff like that, so a vehicle that sits a long time will go dead. Just a note also. if you keep the batteries charged in a vehicle that sits all summer they will be good to go when the snow comes. A battery that sits at less then 75% state of charge will kill its self and wont come back like new when charged.
  8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I put a battery tender on mine because it sits for a week at a time if not more, never a problem and extends your battery life. maintains at 1.5 Amps...It's a schumacher brand also have one on my motorcycle, if anyone is interested i have a few (NEW) ones left in box for 25.00
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

I think the problem is that it doesnt run in the summer unless its being moved for mowing. It ran in october but sat since. It's een very cold the last few weeks, any one in western MN can attest to that, but it's out of the wind. I had one of the batteries in my enduro car all summer and it worked fine. I think its just going to have to get new batteries again
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Considering how long you let the truck sit, you may want to look into something a little better than a trickle charger. There are some good units that will actually exercise the battery, reducing sulfation. This will make the batteries last much longer.
  11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Exercise ?? Is that like taking it a gym ????:laughing::laughing::
    Can you explain that a bit ??? I'm curious ....
  12. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Me too. And i know theres no draw. We checked everything after we left the plow on one time (oopss)