1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Problem(another?)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Sno4U, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

A few weeks back had to let my truck sit at the side of the road while doing some work on a site. I left the 4 ways and the strobe light on all day. When we where ready to leave the batteries where dead. So we pulled another truck(diesel also) up it and after a long time finally got it to start. I got 1/2 way home and it stopped charging (red light/warning ) and gauge confirmed. It died as I pulled in the driveway. So, I charged it for an 1 1/2 hrs @ 30 amps and it fired rite up.
    Problem is now it constantly runs about 15-16 volts according to the gauge. It starts at a little under 14 volts and then goes up & over. It always ran @ 14 before-steady.
    Did I trash the batteries by completely discharging them like that?

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The batteries could have been going bad before this and running them dead and recharging them at 30amps could have been the last straw.

Have the batteries load tested.

I don't think you hurt the alt as it is trying to charge your batteries.