1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery preferences

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by popov_plow, Dec 11, 2006.

1. popov_plow

popov_plow Junior Member

Some lowlife bum stole the battery outta my plow rig, I need to buy a replacement. Whats known as a reliable brand these days? I need a strong dual terminal for $100 give or take.

Thanks
    Jerry

2. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes Junior Member

Globals or Interstate work fine for me I've been told the same thing by everyone who sells batteries it's not the rating on the battery it's the weight of the battery that's important heavier is better and the brand really shouldn't matter to much since reputable companies will put some kind of warranty on a new battery.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had great luck with one of the 3 year free replacement batteries from AutoZone 900cca. The last one lasted 4 years in my plow truck with lot's of punishment! Running a 100 amp alternator. Measure your battery tray and buy the biggest one that fits.

4. aus316

aus316 Member

im runnin 2 diehard suv batterys (they say have more shock absorption/resistance)900 amp cca per battery with no problems:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

5. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

I just run the Wal Mart ones with 3 year free replacement. Seems like after about 2 1/2 years it might be time for it to take a dump.! ;) We run Interstate batteries at work, but I'm not real impressed with them. Warrenty doesn't seem as good, and they don't seem to last all that long either.

6. MickiRig1

They quit useing InterState at the ambulance company. They seemed to die quicker then other brands we have used. They went back to MotorCraft OEM's

7. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Diehards used to be good. How about now a days?? I did have a interstate go bad once. Maybe the AutoZone will be good.

Chris

8. MickiRig1

The guys at AutoZone told me the company that makes Diehards makes their batteries. But they are cheaper, same quality.

9. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

I run optima red top they charge 3 times faster than any other battery out there. Only bad thing is they are $$$$$$$

10. MickiRig1

Optima's are nice but I don't think they hold up to the deep discharge / charge cycle we put them through. Vers the cost of them. The 4X4 magazines love them for way off the road use. Maybe they do have a point though. The few times they save your butt is worth the added cost and shorter life. Not many people comment on them here.

11. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

I have run the same two red tops for 5 years now with no problems yet but and have also taken one of them out and put it in the boat used with the trolling motor worked real well but that just my experience with them. wesport

12. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

At work we used to use Napa brand and now we use some from Northern Battery. I gave up on Auto Zone crap along time ago:gunsfiring: , I wouldn't use there stuff if they paid me, well maybe. Auto Zone stuff didn't last and they gave me hassels with warranties. Maybe they've changed. I am a mechanic at work and I see alot of junk ones from the zone and walmart. Though I have one from walmart in my plow truck now, but only because it was free. Maybe I'm just bitter at Auto Zone? I think I hold a record at one store for the farthest anyone has hurled a starter out into the parking lot.:eek:

13. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I just replaced a NAPA Nascar Select in my truck that gave me 7 years of totally trouble-free service.

I ended up buying an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24F which was the top-rated battery for my truck's group size in the battery test results published in the October Consumer Reports. Cost a Franklin.

According to CS, the battery ratings don't necessarily match actual performance--check out their article for more details. They use a bunch of different test parameters to determine battery performance.

Interestingly, according to CS vitually all vehicle batteries are made by one of 3 manufacturers--Exide was one, I think Delco was another, maybe Interstate was the third (don't quote me on that).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Anybody ever use Odyssey?

15. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

i second the walmart idea, all for screwing the big crap hole...

after about 2 years whne they start going i drain the acid and fill them with water...

they need to test them at customer service to determine if its ok to return, so its gotta be a dead or crappy battery.....

just sucks cause you need to hold onto the reciept for a long while

16. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

If you can find them I've...

In the past I had really good luck with DEKA batteries(Manu in PA).I had them in my big stuff and my Honda accord and never had a problem.

17. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I would have to second Oshkosh on the Deka battieries, we used them at the construction company I used to work at, good stuff. Can't get um up here in my neck of the woods though.

18. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

tsmith quote:

"Maybe I'm just bitter at Auto Zone? I think I hold a record at one store for the farthest anyone has hurled a starter out into the parking lot."

haha those jerks, i got so mad once i got a starter with the unlimited warrenty for my '85 and after 3 seasons the starter wouldnt engage, i brought it back and the girl argues with me that its not the starter i bought, i wanted to smash her face so bad with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!....told her it was my plow truck and i dont use it often or wash the salt off and that was what the rust was from....ended up going across town and returning it at the other store...

....she'll pay for the gas i burned wasting my time one day....

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hate to hear all the trouble some of you guy's seem to have with your local Autozone's.My local one's top notch.They'll go out of there way to make me a happy customer. Might be because I PLOW THERE LOT though. :D

20. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

"Might be because I PLOW THERE LOT though." B&B they are lucky they never asked me to plow thier lot, I would be very tempted to plow the lot and pile all the snow in front of thier doors. :angry: I had a lot of problems with all sorts of parts and quite a few of the people.