1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery or batteries?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lazarus, Dec 7, 2009.

1. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

i had an everstart 860 cca 750 ca battery. bought in 11/07. battery seems to be junk already so i am looking to get another but not sure if i should be using 2 batteries or not got an 88 f250 with a western markIII plow.
    if i should be using 2 batteries then can someone explain how i should have them hooked up

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

First of all you have 860 ca and 750 c c a... You mixed them up...

Do a search (dual batteries) for a ford...

3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

dual batteries is the way to go....
    i've got dual optima yellow tops in my f150
    wired in parrallel + ---> + and - ---> -
    upgraded altornator wire directly to the battery using 4ga wire
    upgraded grounding wire from block to battery and block to chassis

also its not so much the CA or CCA you want to look for its the reserve capacity

4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I'm sure 2 batts is good but i have been plowing for 12 years and have rear defroster, heat and my roof strobe and yes the plow lights dim when lifting but never had i have to replace a battery. Waste if you ask me....Alot of people think because the lights dim then it's time for a new battery or 2 batts..1 has worked for me so far

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the blue line above.
    Search: Duel Batteries, charging, low power etc. There is hours and hours of reading there.
    It's an issue that's beat to death, In fact this is about the 5th time this week a question like this was asked.