1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery or alternator?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Storsy23, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

When ever i go to plow in the morning when i go to raise the plow you can see my battery indicator drop tremendously.. and most of the time the truck just dies out but not enough i havr to restart the truck.. Seat belt light will come on pretty much all the indicators come on that would come on when u start up your vehicle.. would this be due to not a strong enough battery or alternator? i was planning on upgrading my 105 amp alternator to a 145 anyways but i had my battery tested and it if fine.. should i buy a stronger battery? also i do not have this problem when my truck has been running for about an hour or so.. my truck is a 2004 gmc ext cab short box 1500 fully loaded (cept sun roof) with z 71,, or maybe do i have a bad connection someplace? because if i left my truck sit for a day or so most times it will not start and i will have to jump it with a battery pack that i keep on me.. any suggestions would be great thanks..

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I would get your alternator checked.That to me seems like your problem.You checked for corrosion at the end of all your cables,including the + at your starter?

3. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

no i am ignorant when it comes to motors but i can make anything out of wood ;) haha

4. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

where could i get it checked?

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Any Auto parts store. I know Auto Zone does it. Call around. i am sure if you bring it to a auto shop they can check it. It sounds like the Alternator to me. Mine drops a little bit. I will be upgrading mine soon.

6. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

yeah i just got done plowing i let my truck sit for about 30 minutes and it was fine but than again my truck sat for 4 days but yeah im ganna go get my alternator checked i guess but im still going to upgrade to the 145 amp just cause people say it helps