1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery or alternator?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by thesnowman269, Dec 13, 2010.

1. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

just got cut short from plowing cause the truck has lost all electrical power for the most part. the volt meter while the truck was running was at like 4. I limped it home luckly i was just around the corner cause the head lights didnt do ****. Anywho if you touch the gas the needle on the metter doesnt move like it normally does when voltage is low. which leads me to believe its the alternator. the truck is a 99 f150
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like an alternator to me.
  3. landonkc26

landonkc26 Junior Member

I had the same problem. On my 76 chevy. I replaced the alternator. And batt.
  4. landonkc26

landonkc26 Junior Member

its easy to fix.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  5. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Sounds like the alternator went south and was not charging the battery back up. I would replace the alternator and then charge the battery or replace it.
  6. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Just had the same problem what are the odds that the serp belt and alt goes in the same night in the middle of a blizzard. Its too damn cold out right now to pull it off
  7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

replaced both, in the snow. damnit i need a bigger garage....