1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery ? on 07 3500 ram

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by vmj, Jan 3, 2015.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

picked up a 07 3500 ram with a hemi with 14,000 miles on it,.. Put a new 9' boss dxt on it... Noticed battery guage was dropping while moving plow during plowing for the first time with it... Light came on in dash once to..

2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How much is it dropping? Do you have the bigger alternator, 2nd battery also?

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

single battery not sure on alternator... Dropping way low under half way on gauge...

4. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

Load test the battery, any parts store can test it.

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

brand new battery....

6. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Still could have a warped plate. Either the batt is real bad or your alternator isn't up to snuff.

*or you have some cabling/grounding issues.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What is the CCA of the new battery? Some drop is normal. What size alternator? What else was on while using the plow?

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Not sure on cca will have to look... Garage replaced it... Not sure on alternator lol Had headlights and LEDs on what size alternator should be in this truck im sure its the stock on in there now....

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Some stock alternators are as small as 60-70 amps. I have no idea what your truck came with but I like to have at least 100 amp alternator. Larger wire from alternator to battery is another nice upgrade when adding a plow. Smaller batteries will have a harder time recovering from heavy plow use. You can also make sure you are moving the plow while backing up and not just when truck is stopped and idling.

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I will have to check alternator. Is the 100 amp the most ther is to get?? Is ther a tag on alternator to tell size? Thanks..

11. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

battery is a AC Delco ,750 CCA, 120 RC ,370 LTA , 65 AGM, Alternator is a DENSO with a series of numbers after it no AMP size shown...

12. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

does the truck have factory snowplow prep package? factory alternator are 180 amp and i think plow prep alternators are 220

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

mmmmmm That I have no idea....

14. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I whould have to say truck has plow prep.... Is there an alternator bigger then that 160 ?

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes there is. Aftermarket companies make them.
    Since you never officially said, what IS your volt drop while operating?

17. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Im just going by gauge on dash... Needle is going almost all the way down.. it triggered the check gauges light once....

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And what is that number?
    A typical drop to 10v isn't abnormal.

19. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

no numbers on gauge... it has a low and a high with a half way mark... needle goes down towards low almost into the red...

20. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Throw a voltmeter on it and do some testing, I've seen cars say they are charging at 16v when they are sitting right at 14.4v, and others say 12v when they are 14.