1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery not holding a full charge anymore

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Embalmer, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Anyone know the signs of a battery thats dead? All the electronics in my truck were all installed a week after buying my truuck 2 years ago, never had this problem. Even left my sirius radio on 24/7 and left the truck parked for 3 days, and could still come back and start it. Now if I leave the truck, with everything unplugged and off, the battery looses its juice within 24 hours. Anyone else ever have this, or know any other possible fixes?

2. smitty3903

smitty3903 Junior Member

Try having you battery load tested, it sounds like you have draw from somewhere or your battery needs replacement.

3. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

sounds like a dead battery 2 me...

Have the battery load tested...

if you are gonna install a plow then I would recomend upgrading to dual batteries.. you will get several different opinions on the dual battery system....many say that it is needed and many say that it is not.... I have had plow trucks with and without duals and I will never have a plow truck without.

as far as what battery to replace it with....I would say either go with an optima yellow top which is a 6-pack style battery or if you can find anyone who deals them locally,
    either a Gell-Cell style or a glass-matt style....the latter 2 are completley impervious to vibration and can be totally discharged without damaging the battery....

Just my 2 cents

4. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

K well Dodge was no help. They ran meters ect, said found no draw, alt working properly, and battery is ok. Now im pretty sure, once you park the truck, you can turn the key forward one position before turning the engine on, that all the guages go. I could swear to remember that the battery guage should remain at the halfway mark, even a few days later, and not at or below the minimal charge mark in a few hours. Im not imagining that am i?

5. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

did they load-test the battery???

6. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I know this sounds dumb, but check the plugs for your trailer hook ups. Mine were full of salt and when wet would drain my battery. You must unplug them and check for moisture, or corrosion in the plug itself. Being mounted in the back bumper, they tend to catch all the junk from the road. Mine were smoking when I unplugged them because my battery was dead and I had put a charger on it. I noticed my brake controller looked like a trailer was hooked up, telling me there was a problem back there somewhere. My dealer replaced them under warranty after I cut them off to keep from having a fire maybe.
    Just a suggestion.
    Don

7. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

They said they load tested it, but I have no idea as I wasnt there. Ill check the trailer plug area, but am doubtful thats the prob. The mystery continues...

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

It could be an internal short in the battery...

Bring the truck to a good parts store they will load test the battery right there in front of you...

9. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Hmm ill go down to advance autos and try that

10. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Ok went to advance auto to have the battery and alt tested, bothcame back ok.... So now im back to the drawing board...

11. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Did you look at the trailer plug? My truck was doing the same thing, and it never blew a fuse..... Most of the trouble was in the plug attached to the bumper, the loose hanging one was full also, but the attached one was smoking.
    Just a thought
    Don

12. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

yeah checked those too, havent used the trailer hitch yet, and still has the silicone crap in both plugs to keep em from rotting, so thats not the prob.

13. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I still think that it may be the battery, it always has been when I have had problems...

first of all....take it to a batteries plus or some kind of place that deals exclusevly in batteries....not that advance auto didn't do it right, but if the $7 per hr kid at the parts store has no clue then he may have done it wrong.... I don't know how big of a battery your truck has but I do know that a standard analog (non digital, "heating coil" type) load tester is only accurate on batteries up to about 750-800 CCA...for any with a higher cranking capacity you need a bigger, badder tester.

went through this several years ago with my origonal Ugly Truck.

or....you can charge the battery in the garage sitting on the workbench....unhook it and let it sit for a couple of days and retest the charge....if it has gone dead just sitting on the bench then the problem is the battery....if it still shows full charge...then the problem is with the truck..

it has to be either the truck or the battery as I doubt that there is any kind of an electrical power-sucking vortex surrounding your truck...

I think that the in truck test for a power draw is as follows:

SOMEONE PLEASE PIPE UP IF I AM TELLING HIM WRONG HERE!!!!!!!

1. key removed from Ignition
    2. all accessorys off
    3. remove neg. battery cable
    4 using "bug light" type tester: toutch one end to the neg battery cable that is unhooked
    from the battery and the other end to the neg post on the battery..if it lights up then
    there is a draw/short somewhere... next start pulling fuses one at a time to determine
    which circut the draw is on...once you have narrowed it to 1 circut then find the short.

14. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I am not sure if that will work like that, you have the radio, computer, and other "memory" items that have a constant drain on the battery. If you can disconnect anything that has a memory, or remembers settings, then that might work.
    JMO
    Don

15. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Here is my 2 cents worth. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD, that had the same problem. Battery would go dead after about 9 hours, and yes the truck has dual batties from the factory. Did load and draw test several time's with no luck, so I went and bought 2 yellow top Optimas and have not had a problem since. Yes they are costly but with a salt spreader and plow and all of my lights I thought they would be worth the money. So far I'm very happy with the Optima's battery.

Regards Mike

16. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Well yesterday when I went to advance auto, i took the battery out for testing, and when I put it back, it almost didnt crank the engine (did a half sec of click as if dead, but then cranked), so I have unplugged it aboout 19 hours ago (sucks not having a truck), and will leave it unplugged through tomorrow, and will try it on monday morning. The lights, cd, siruis were all installed when I first got the truck 2 years ago, and never had an issue, even left my sirius running 24/7. even with sirius on, the truck could sit for 3 days and still turn over when I did need to use it. Well ill give a report on this experiment later.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I do two things differently.
    One, I use a meter instead of a light,
    a light has a hard time finding the 3v-.1v draw.

Two. I remove the Pos for this test.

Try this,
    With every thing off.
    Disconnect the pos lead off of the battery.
    Now take a voltage tester and check for voltage.

If you have any voltage.
    Start removing fusses one by one until the voltage drops.
    This is the short or power draw.

Did you have the starter circuit looked at?

Was the battery load tested or just checked for voltage and that the alt was charging? Go back and have the Batt load tested

18. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Well battery still started, after being unplugged for over 24 hours, so dont thing thats it. Tommorrow ill do the one fuse at a time trick. Someone else I know mentioned the starter could be the cause... Will report on this later

19. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Also look for a loose or a bad ground.

Regards Mike