1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery maker

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by T-Trim, Nov 18, 2011.

1. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I know I saw it on here or was it Lawnsite.com . I looked up and down. Someone posted very helpful info in who really makes what batteries. I know there is only three companies. Any help is welcome.

2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

JCI, East Penn, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries (they bought out Delphi). Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries.

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Or at least thats what the internet says... :D

Happy Mike? Lol

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've had good luck with the Deka (East Penn) batteries, have one in my truck and it's all we use in the cleaning equipment we use at work. Plus they're manufactured right here in PA and they're low priced.

5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

So exide is the only company putting out exide? I need to find that list. Its funny how one person said my battery is better than your. Well in real light of things the other guy could say "F you the company who makes your battery is the same who makes mine."

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Not sure man. Just found that on the interweb. Ask B&B here as hes the one that correct me on what was printed there. Im going thru the same thing here and just saw that.

Actually just got off phone with Walmart and they have an Everstart Maxx 8500CCA for $89.99. They I know are made by Johnson Controls. Ive got two in there now that were in there when I bought the truck and are mismatched and ran fine all last season. One is 540 CCA and from '08 and one is 600 CCA and from '09. I want to add one more for obvious reasons so Im going to get 3 new ones. In all honesty batteries are batteries IMO. Ive had some that people swear by that are total sh!t and some that people say suck that are awesome. I think it all depends on the exact battery you get...lol. I got an Interstate in my HD and its been great for the last 4+ years with a system and on board air. Ive had a Duralast Gold that was total sh!t. Had a diehard that was bad too but I didnt install it so who knows how old it was.

My thinking is this....warranty is everything. If its gonna go bad its going to be within 3 years which is the Walmart free replacement warranty period. So if it does indeed go bad its replaced. Walmart is open all day and night so if it goes out out plowing I just go and replace it. Im usually picky in what I put in my trucks as far as top notch but this I really dont think matters unless you want to spend the money on a real battery like Odyssey or equivalent. Plus its pro rated for a total of 72 months. Im sure it wont last that long so Im getting cash towards the next one.

Guess I wont be winning any wiener swinging contest about my batteries but at least they will be working and I didnt spend $400 on a brand name. Its who makes them that counts.

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

From what I found out by B&B East Penn is making Napa batteries now.

8. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I see. We have a interstate in our leaf vac and its a used unit. I don't know of the year of the battery but it still starts. and we got it $ years ago. So i really don't even know the year of the battery. But I guess on a leaf vac the hardest thing that battery does is start the motor.

9. wva

wva Member

i seen some champions a wally world the other day

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Just because Johnson controls makes 12 different battery lines doesn't mean they are all the same grade, quality or design. A company like Walmart sends specs to a manufacturer for what they want and a cost they want it for. I got a Samsung video camera a few years ago there for a good price, turns out it was specially made for Walmart with a different lens then the standard model which cost less hence the lower cost.

11. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

The cells are diffrent in them. Some have less lead and some have alot more in them. Just keep that in mind when you get one.

I soon will love my Z

12. frmboybuck

frmboybuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

They have for a while now.....I use to make them at Voltmaster before East Penn bought them out. There is also an East Penn warehouse in Olwein Iowa and a manufacturing plant in Corydon Ia