1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery keeps dying...help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by iceyman, Nov 21, 2008.

1. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

hey my dodge 2500 keeps losing its charge after sitting for a couple hours...... it started when my idiot brother left the radio on in it for like 3 hours....now everytime you charge it it starts up but if you let it sit overnite its dead again....ive replaced all the terminals form the cables.....one mechanic i brought it too said he replaced a airflow sensor or somehting like that.... do you guys think the battery is shot or could it be an alternator or something like that.... thanks for the help ....

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I would say the battery would be the first suspect, go to a parts store and have them test the battery. If it's not the battery it might parsetic draw, or off-draw.

To test for that get a 12 volt test light, make sure everything is shut off, ignition too. Undo your negative battery cable and put the leads of the test light to the cable and other end to the battery. If there is off draw it will light up the test light, if not then no draw. If it does light up then start removing fuses or unplugging items one at a time til you find one that when removed makes the light go out. That one that makes the light go out is the culprit. It could be multiple things.

Here's a little more info on theory of the test.
    Parasitic Draw Test

A diagnostic test used to check the electrical system of a vehicle for current flow (amperage) when the key is off. The purpose of this test is to ascertain whether the battery is being drained while the vehicle is not in use. Some devices with memories such as clocks, radios and digital odometers draw a small amount of current with the key off, but if the vehicle does not have any devices that must maintain a memory of information, there should be no current flow with the key off.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I would suspect the battery too. Sounds dead.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you took it to a shop already and they didn't replace the battery that would lead me to think it's NOT the battery (unless the guy you took it to is a meathead). You might have a draw just like tsmith said. Do a quick Google search and see if anyone else is having similar problems with the same truck, that might get you to a solution quicker.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Battery maybe taking a charge but could be a bad plate in it. Icey just sell 4 shakes and the new battery will be paid for!:D

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i will test the draw thing.... my only thing is say i have a satellite radio and it usually stays on all the time(has been like that for a year).....i guess ill just turn everything off and give it a shot,,,,, and grandview its more like 6 "afterhours" shakes:jester:

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Does your truck have one or two batteries???? If two, one might have a tired cell which is causing the other to drain flat.
    No matter what put a new battery in it. Better to have a good used one on the shelf and a new one in the truck. Rather than a bad one in the truck.