1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Junction Box Buzzing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Coloradosnoway, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Coloradosnoway

Coloradosnoway Junior Member
    from Denver

So I have been working on an 1984 K20 with a Unimount Western plow. The plow wiring harness was already in place when it came to me.
    The problem I'm having is the box that has a terminal from the battery and a terminal going to the plow buzzes when moving the plow. I tightened down everything and replaced whatever looked questionable but the noise remains.
    Is this normal?
    Also, what is this junction box doing exactly?
    Heres what it looks like:

Battery.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's called a plow solenoid. If it's buzzing might need to replace it with another plow solenoid
    Also from the pic looks like there's some green fuzz on one of the small terminals. I hope you took the pic before you "replaced anything that looks questionable" cause you missed that

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. Coloradosnoway

from Denver

Well I ordered a new solenoid and put it on but the same thing happens. The plow moves really slow and the solenoid just clicks/buzzes. I took apart the old unit and there was very little corrosion. What else could cause this slow movement and clicking?

4. dieselss

Connections, bad motor, bad wires, plow pins to tight, low fluid

5. dieselss

What did you take apart?

6. Coloradosnoway

from Denver

I took apart the old solenoid. The connections looked fine.
    How does one diagnose a bad motor? Could I use jumper cables on the battery and tap the positive and negative terminals on the motor?

7. dieselss

I was talking about the pic, looked like green fuzz on the small terminal
    Yes you can test like that,STAND CLEAR THO
    Have you used a volt meter? What's the alt output? How's the batt(s) and the charging system