1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery issues.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MileHigh, Jan 3, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I have a e-47 meyer pump installed on my Ford. My battery has been losing it's charge over the last few nights, it's not the battery(i replaced the battery and same thing) I'm thinking my pump's motor (which has only been installed on this truck since 10-21-07) is for some reason not turning off along with the truck and is draining my battery while I sleep. Is that common? What the hell is going on? I don't think it's my alternator either, because my truck will run just fine for well over 18 hrs plowing. What do you all think it is?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

WIll the plow operate with the ignition in the off position?

3. MileHigh

the plow operates with the truck on or off.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then theirs a very good chance that that is the problem.. if the controls are hot all the time and you leave it in the float position it will kill the battery (and usually burn up the A coil too)

You need to move the power wire for the control to a source in the fuse panel thats only hot with the key in the run position.

5. MileHigh

So if i leave my control in the float position..it'll drain? What If I just keep my joystick in the middle, instead in float, will it still drain? Thx so much for the input!! I will see if I can move the power wire.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely :nod:
    If you have the slik stik style control, no it shouldn't...but it's real easy to forget or bump it into float, so you'll still want to move the power wire.

7. MileHigh

Answers are good. Thx B&B.. I'll try it out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

B&B always KNOWS.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

B& B's the Man with the Plan !!!