1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Issue. Help

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by jpell, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jpell

jpell Senior Member

Hey guys so I dont own the plow or truck. One of my buddies who also is in the snow removal industry is having issues and I am trying to help him out.

The truck is a 95 Chevy 1500. Its a back up plow which is only used if another vehicle goes down. It has a new battery and a newer alternator. The problem we are having is if the plow stays connected the truck is completely dead the next morning.

If the plugs are left connected from the plow to the truck can this kill the battery over night? Has anyone else had this issue? Also can the plow controller being connected lead to the battery draining? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a ph1 or ph2. And does the trk have drls?

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Accessory power [small red wire going to controller] should be wired to a key on 12 v source. If not this could drain battery if controller left on.

4. jpell

jpell Senior Member

update: We left the truck over night with everything plow wise disconnected and the battery was still dead the next morning. I think its going into a shop for a professional look over. Thanks for the help.

5. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Does the plow operate with out having to put the keys in the ignition?
    If the plow is wired this way, when you drop the plow on the ground you trigger the float valve to stay on draining the battery. You just need to find a piggy back fuse that works on the ignition.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Missed that post huh?