1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Isolator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kdm004, Jan 23, 2007.

1. kdm004

kdm004 Junior Member

hi im just hooking up my 2006 K1500 for my western plow and was wanting to know which is the best way to go for a dual battery set up Im not sure if or I like the dual battery in series idea id rather have 2 good batteries on for the truck and one for the plow seperate and as I see it there is nt much room under the hood for a big isolater . I do have the plow prep when i ordewred the truck so that upgraded the alternater to a I THINK a 160 amp ???? or atleast a 140 amp so who can set me on the right path for the correct setup and is there a special isolater that i need for my type of alternater ????
    thanks a bunch:help:
  2. If you want the advantage of the dual batteries for the plow, you should hook them up in series. I've attached a thread by a fellow Plowsite member that explains it in detail with pictures for his "04. Good Luck and welcome to the Forum.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I tried an isolator years ago, didn't work as well as I hoped. Last two trucks I run in series and works much better. In fact this one is a diesel, so it came from the factory that way, and I have to assume they know a little bit.
  4. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Not to double up my posts or anything since this is very similar to what I said in the Battery preference post, but I like Optima batteries because they are completely sealed and are capable of being mounted anywhere at any angle which gives you a lot more freedom to determine a location.
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be a wiseguy, but do many people actually move their batteries to other than the factory location? I can see a race car or a rock climber maybe, but I like mine right where they are. And I've never seen an Optima mounted upside down.
  6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Careful. Hooking up in "series" results in 24 volts. You were looking for parallel. :)
  7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Personally I think isolated is a waste in a plow application. Isolators create heat and heat = lost energy, I think the best are only like 80% efficient (meaning you 160amp alternator is reduced by 20%).

Hooking them up in parallel is the best bet. With an isolator your plow will only have say 800cca available but with them in parallel you will be at 1600cca, and really not much better performance then you have now if you isolate. Plus 95% of the time you will have a battery with no draw on it, and I think the current thinking is that a battery needs to be drawn down some to extend it's life, cycled if you will.

I think the only time a isolated battery is useful is in stereo or camping applications, where you need to leave one battery alone to get the vehicle started.

Plus, running in parallel, is less costly, less complicated and less to go wrong. Seeing the way some trucks are so picky these days, I would hate to see what problems the voltage regulator might have seeing an isolator downstream.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

good info.:waving:
  9. Thanks

Thanks for the correction ThisIsMe. I knew what I meant, it just isn't what I typed!!