1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery isolator

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by streetsurfin', Jan 25, 2004.

1. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Hey all! My question is for those who have used isolators. Have you had any fail and if so what was the life span of it. I have on my 85 Dodge;
    2 batteries
    isolator from Napa
    extra output (charge) wire to battery as well as ground
    volt meter for each battery
    had a red top Optima which to my amazement gave 8 years of solid service,
    100 amp alt from junk yard police cruiser
    currently(pun intended)DieHard and Interstate batts
    Grote beacon, tractor lights for b/u's, and extra driving lights

This set up solved all my drainage problems from plowing. Neat thing is you can jump yourself if you should ever drain the battery while working on the truck, leaving lights on.
    Just wondered if I ought to think about keeping a spare isolator on hand, as this one is about twelve years old.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Personally, I run two batteries without an isolator but keeping an extra one wouldn't hurt. I always keep extra items just in case.:nod:

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

My personal feelings are that isolater are for rv's and i dont have a need for them on my truck. I run my truck enough im able to keep both of my batteries full charged. Now if your parked out somewhere and kill your aux battery then you main battery will get you going again. No need for that on my plow truck imo....Rob

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

The first winter with a new western, the motor went bad. The bushings hogged out, causing the motor draw too many amps. Operating the plow would use more juice than the 60 amp alt. could keep up with, although everything was fine till then. This is why I chose the isolator route. I didn't like being stranded in the truck because of the plow. I was afraid two batteries hooked together could suffer the same fate if a plow motor or starter failed again. This way only one batttery would drain in that case and I could switch cables or jump the other battery and limp back to the shop.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you know you can run optima yellow top it put out alot of power and you have 100 amp alternator

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Street....Check out the " Alternator pulley for more idle juice"
    thread here. Wyldman has pics and info. about larger alts.
    and info on hooking up isolators and such.........geo