1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by biancofiorels, Oct 23, 2006.

1. biancofiorels

biancofiorels Junior Member

I have a 06 Silverado Z71 with factory 145 amp alternator and 600 cold cranking amp battery, Recently had a BOSS plow installed and I was wondering if I should upgrade the battery to something with more cold crank amps??

2. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Do some research on the Optima yellow top battery with the deep cycle.;)

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I may be wrong, but unless you're running your plow alot while the truck is not running I don't think there's much need to uprgade your battery. The battery runs the accessories while the motor is off, keeps the stereo presets and clock current and start the motor...alternator runs everything while the motor is on.

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

well there is more to it then what you said. a better battery is better cause it will supply more power now where the alt takes a sec to kick in. never hurts to have a good battery. I run two 205amp alts on my rig and had two group 24 batts. plowing was fine but after a while I would have to shut off the lights to build the power back up. sice upgrading to four group 32 batts. no problems. cause the batts can supply the power needed at that moment while being easyer on the alternators. I run 1/0 guage wires to all the batts and to the pump motor with a 2g wire from the alts to RIGHT to the batts. that alone has helped alot.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

optima red or yellow cycle plus there great batteries

6. biancofiorels

Thanks for the suggestions... which optima would be better, red or yellow?? Obviously for the plow, roof flasher that plugs into cig lighter and a buyers salt spreader that plugs into cig lighter

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yellow aka deep cycle

8. biancofiorels

I'm about to order the Optima Yellow Top 34/78 with 750 cold crank amps.... would it do good for me??