1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Gauge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l, when I first start the truck for a couple of minutes the battery gauge will go up and down between 14 volts and 8 or 9 volts. Is that normal or a sign of a bad battery? Seems to always have tons of juice...
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

This is normal. Your grid heaters, which warm your intake air, cycle on and off for a period of time after you start the engine when it is cold outside.
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

jp is right mine does it too, just the grid heaters
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Anybody use winter screens? My diesel takes a while to warm up and I do small commutes to work in the morning. Would a winter screen help? And do you guys leave it on when plowing?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Diesels will always take a long time to heat up. Don't forget they will never generate the heat that a gas engine will due to the lower burn temps created with the diesel. Not to mention the 25litres or so of anitfreeze.

If you are using it for stort commutes try purchasing a timer and plug the truck in at night. Have the timer come on about 2-3 hours before you leave in the AM. This way you will have almost instant heat less wear and tear on the engine and use much less fuel defrosting the glass in the am.;)
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I do plug it in on the cold nights, just curious about the grill covers or whatever they are called. You'd think they would warm everything up quicker right?
  7. JDiepstra

I've never used a winter front so I couldn't tell you if it will help it warm up faster or not, but I would not use the grill cover when plowing. Your intake temps will soar.

I imagine it would warm up faster, but only slightly.

Also I wanted to let you know that the other day I watched my volt meter or whatever it is called as my grid heater was cycling on and off. It only moved a small amount. Nothing like the large swings that you were seeing. Although I am still confident that my initial answer was correct, I wonder if your batteries are just not holding a lot of juice?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Batteries are almost always the cause of the problems. I have started to change to new batteries every 2 years. You might want to pull them and give them a good charge... clean all the posts and connections and see if you have the same jumps. I will check how much mine jumps later this afternoon.

Im thinking about trying the yellow tops (gel) anyone ever tried them>?
    right now im running interstate megatrons they have done well

my mastercraft whatevers suck
  9. JDiepstra

Ok I used my scan guage to check my voltage as the grid heaters were cycling. It goes from approx 14.4 to approx 13.4 when the heater kicks on, and then back to 14.4 when it goes off. If you are going down to 9 as you said that is the lowest mark on my dash gauge and it sounds like that's too low to me.
  10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

It goes down with before a 1/4 left for one or two seconds then back up. I'm not to worried I guess