1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery dying-New snoway 26 on 07 Silverado

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by jgoetter1, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I was out last night during 5 below zero temperature plowing and the battery started to die on me. I plowed for about an hour and suddenly the wipers are working real slow and I glance at the battery guage and its low. I continue and the truck almost dies.

After circling the block, I was able to finish up but I had to keep an eye on the guage to avoid death.

Do I need a bigger battery? 07 Silverado 1500
    Upgrade the alternator?
    Avoid plowing during below zero temperatures?
    Do I need two batteries?

Thanks boys.
  2. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

Something isn't right.

You need to take it back to your Sno Way dealer and have them check out the plow. After that maybe take it to your truck dealership and have them hook it up to a Tech Tool to find out what's wrong. I can't imagine it would need any upgrades from factory. But maybe.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How big a battery/alternator is on the truck now?
  4. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I had the larger alternator, but upgraded from the factory battery to an Optima Battery. It was rated @ ~ 600CCA & 38 AH to an Optima Red Top @ ~ 800CCA & 50 AH. Its still not enough when I add the Plow, Strobes, Light Bar (with 4 Lights), Sub & Amp :) I'll probably be upgrading to a Odyssey 2150 which is 1090 CCA & 100 AH. Its almost like having the capacity of 2 Optima Batteries!

Sometimes, we just drawing alot of amps!
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

shut off the sub and amps. one thing that you really don't need.
  6. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

That's a lot of stuff.
  7. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Not sure, whatever the factory installed on the truck. Its an 07 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 motor.

I'm just surprised that I'd be dealing with this issue. Perhaps the 'snowplow prep package' would've included a larger battery and alternator.

I think I'm going to contact the snoway dealer.
  8. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I just pulled my window sticker on my 07 5.3 and its 145amp
    I run 2 batteries about 1200 CCA total between them. I think the WT have a smaller one and the Denali's have a 160
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ok I'm sure he'll check it for you but the problem seems to be truck related. Before I went running screaming to the dealer I'd check to see that the truck was not the culprit. I had a customer screaming at me about the amp draw of the plow killing his brand new truck, turned out the charging system on his brand new truck was not working properly.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Com'on that never happens. :D

If it's a non plow prep equipped truck it needs more alternator and battery. Stock barely supplies enough to run the truck, let alone power hungry accessories.
  11. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

And even if you have a bigger alternator, these things aren't really doing much charging at idle. Sometimes thats why you go with a double battery or larger battery setup, because during the low RPM moves, you really have no reserves power wise.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Plowing in low is a good idea in low speed applications. Keeps the engine running at a higher RPM.
  13. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

I experienced the same problem this week (below 0* in WI). I was thinking about going with dual batteries, but I didn't get around to it before the season.

Our 1500s without Snow Plow prep don't (usually) have the higher output alternator, which would help some, but I'm fairly certain that having a good dual battery setup will help more.

When it's 20* the truck has no problems :rolleyes:
  14. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Are you running Sno-Way fluid in the pump? Pumping heavier vicosity fluid will draw a lot more amps from the battery when it's really cold out.

15. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm running snoway fluid for sure-Its a brand new 26 bought in December. I think I'm going to add another battery.
  16. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

get the charging system checked,I had mine checked at a shop before I made an appointment at the dealer,It go's in monday.

I noticed little things,blower motor slowing when I hit the brakes,lights dimming .It got worse with the plow and all the electronics on.

The shop said I was getting 50amps at full load from my 136amp altenator.

Check your charging system before adding batteries and such.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That won't fix a inadequate charging system
  18. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

try running without lightbar amp see what happens if it works you need bigger alt. or dual batteries or both. I have stock 105 amp alt. with dual batteries and lights dim blower slows when raising plow. My '08 had to have the battery replaced within a year no plow on truck. Dealer told my gm batteries "suck" good luck
  19. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the alternator checked. Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know what the verdict is.
  20. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Well my dealer checked mine today and said its fine,I thought bull$h!t I just had it checked and they said it was bad.So I ragged at them for a while and left and went back to the shop I had it checked at and had one of the guys thats been there a long time check it.He said its fine to.The kid that checked it didnt do it right.

Anyway I asked about an optima battery and he said Id be better off with two good batteries or a bigger altenator, which he said he doesnt know anyone who makes a bigger one.136amp is as big as dodge makes:mad: