1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery drains too fast on 04 arctic cat.

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by snowwizards, Jan 12, 2011.

1. snowwizards

snowwizards Junior Member

i just started plowing this year and dont really have alot of experience with atv's to begin with. my battery drains after plowing one lot. i then have to start it with the rope and it wants to die when i raise and lower the winch. do atv's not have a charging system? what size and amperage/voltage should my battery be? right now i have an xtreme 12 volt permaseal. also, could it just be a bad connection? thanks.

randy

2. ghunter67502

ghunter67502 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I have an 04 artic cat mine does the same thing I am going to have my mechanic try and figure it out next week.

3. irv

irv Senior Member

what electric accessories are you pulling off the battery and how old is it.
    ask your dealer what the alternator raing is too. you might need a hd battery or just
    a new one.

4. ghunter67502

from Kansas

Mine is a new battery

5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

to start with was you battery fully charged when you started plowing?

the Winch's draw alot of amps you need a good charged battery to stay ahead of the draw that your winch will take.
    what size winch?

6. ghunter67502

from Kansas

I just found out on mine you either have a problem with the stater or coil.

7. blueballs

blueballs Junior Member

Try plowing in low range to keep the rpms up, therefor more juice going the battery.

8. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i keep my atv running between accounts to charge up battery .

9. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

When I was using my four wheeler to plow I would put a trickle charger on it when it was not being used and that helped out quite a bit.

10. ghunter67502

from Kansas

I am having to replace the magneto on mine it is bad.

11. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

Why not try a battery isolator, get a second battery and run your winch off the larger battery. That is what i did never a problem anymore. I bought a cheap tractor battery and swap it out with my tractor during off season.

The batteries that go in quads are soo friggin small its no wonder the run down so quick. My buddies 700 2 up came with a battery that is half the size of my 99 500cc a.c....i coiuldn't believe it when he took the seat off...you might as will wired up 10 "d" alkalines..well it does increase a.c.'s bottom line putting in smaller batteries
    good luck

12. ghunter67502

from Kansas

Where did you mount the bigger battery?

13. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

i ran cables under the seat to the back rack on one side in a plastic battery box and mounted it with ratchet straps. That way if I was going up to the camp (long ride in in the winter) and I was winching alot I still had room for all my camp stuff and beer.I am going to re-locate it to the underside of the rear rack somehow this summer.

14. danvdd1

danvdd1 Junior Member

I mounted my deep cycle boat battery to my 500 Polaris. I set it up in the extra gas can holder bolted onto the back of the atv. I had all the same problems you are all talking about. So far this is working great. The alternator is not that strong but I just put the battery on a charger when finished plowing and top it back up. Being deep cycle it is made to be discharged and recharged. A regular car battery is not made to function the same as the deep cycle battery. Over Christmas I built a cab for the machine and have a fan and heater hooked up in the cab. Plowing is much more pleasurable now.

15. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

dam my battery is the original 03, and it was dead in the fall,so ipricedanew batt and was shocked that it cost 80 bucks, so i charged it and its alive and well,got to love jap electronics imo

16. rcr4w

rcr4w Member

add a second battery I had to do that on my new ranger that cured my problems I guess lights,radio,heater, and the winch was just too much for 1 little battery

17. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

must have a short or your alt is not charging as well any more. turn off your lights and hand warmers they suck up the amps.

I also run the military grade battery plus in my cats there 200 bucks but have a 3 year warrenty