1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery drain

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cj3859, Oct 26, 2002.

1. cj3859

cj3859 Member

tryed search didnt find anything.............i saw the optima battery threads.....i have one now......sears diehard previous and no problems.......heres problem.......battery (optima red top)drains really slow......lights,switches all off.......i cleaned what grounds i could see(engine and battery) even thought it might be battery itself so i disconnected it and it did not lose any juice after 24 hours hooked back up and back to draining,how do i find out where draw is coming from??? any help is appreciated thx

2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Place a test light between the terminal and cable. Make sure the key is off and door is closed. If the test light is on, you have a draw. Now you have to start pulling fuses one at a time and when the light goes out thats your draw. Make sure you hold the courtesy light switch in the door jam.

John

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

sounds like a good idea but what about the radio clock

4. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Good point...Clocks do have a draw but not enough to drain a battery unless its been sitting for a while. They will show up on the test light as a dim light. As strong draw will show up as a bright light.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

TurfPlus knows his stuff. I was gonna type the samething, but no need to now. :drinkup: Mike

6. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

LOL...Thanx for the compliment Mike. :drinkup:

John

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Your very welcome. :drinkup: :) Mike

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If you pull the radio fuse before you start your testing, you'll have no confusion. Then use John's method of testing. If ther's no light, then the trouble has to be in the radio circuit, if there is a light, continue testing.

My first suspects would be the underhood light or glove box light, the switches to these often get knocked out of alignment.

9. cj3859

cj3859 Member

didnt work now what?

tryed turfs advice and no go, pulled all the fuses and i still have draw,any other suspect causes?? plz keep me from the greedy grips of a repair shop!!!! lol 86 3/4 custom

10. cj3859

cj3859 Member

might have it solved

replaced alternator bout a month back so i disconnected main lead and light stayed on, disconnected what i assume is voltage regulator plug on alt and light goes out,have i maybe solved this problem????? before i waste my time replacing this one? or could it be alt is not grounding to block???

11. cj3859

cj3859 Member

done deal!!!

well for those curious folk out there...........yet another bad alternator from schucks.........problem solved.........thanks goes out to turfplus for the troubleshooting tip!!!! saved my ass!!!!

ps...... sticking with napa from now on! schucks SUCKS!

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Glad you found the trouble!