1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery drain

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by bradt, Nov 27, 2010.

1. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

Has anyone had any issues with battery drain using an E-60 and the pistol grip controller. I have a STP-7.5 and am using two batteries with all proper wiring and connections. I have new batteries (<6 months), aftermarket 160A alternator, properly sized charge wire and I have no issues with 'brown-out' and I have plenty of light and power to the plow pump.

Here's what happens:
    I can plow for any amount of time and after a nominal time of idling to recharge, I will park the vehicle in the shop, drop the plow and turn off the controller and leave it over night. By morning, the pickup will be dead.

I plan on doing an extensive trouble shoot when I can, but, I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this to give me a head start, or a place to start.

Thanks,
    -brad

2. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

I don't have the pistol grip controller, but when I had my plow controller wired to power than was always on, the controller drained the battery down as it was putting power to the coil as well. I switched my wiring around to a power location that was only on when the vehicle key was turned on and that fixed my problem. It turned out though that my controller was bad and the down switch was sticking, therefore closing the circuit and draining the battery. Check you wiring..somethings draining the battery.
    Hope that helps a bit.

3. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

Odd you mention down position. When I first noticed the problem, I figured out that it was maybe the position of the plow (heightwise) and I thought it was the down coil staying on, because I used to drop the plow and leave it in float and then turn the controller off. So, then, I began dropping it to the floor, not float then turning the controller off. It seemed to work, but, last night, it didn't. I know this is plow-related because the pickup (Chev 1500HD) doesn't go dead when the plow isn't attached.

I will definitely look at where the power is sourced. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

brad

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the truck/plow lamp switch isn't wired to a constant hot as well as the light modules will drain the battery overnight if they're energized constantly.

5. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

I figured out that the headlamp switch is wired to constant hot; if I leave the switch in pickup headlamps, it doesn't draw any current and batteries stay charged. But, if I leave it switched to plow headlamps, it draws power despite the plow headlamps going out when the pickup is turned off. This goes back to a crappy install at my local dealer and this is but another issue that has arisen due to his poor work which cost me over $1800 when I was originally quoted $450.

Should this switch be sourced from a 12v source that is only hot with ignition? Or will it cause a problem if I continue to run it the way it is and just turn the switch back to pickup headlamps when I'm done?
    Thanks for all the help!
    -brad

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It should be connected to a keyed ignition source only. Leaving it connected to a constant hot will lead to the same issue you're having.

Wire it correctly and the problem should be resolved permanently.

7. plowmaster25

plowmaster25 Junior Member
    from ma

Hello i may be able to help you in this area. First thing i would do is get a test light take off the neg battery cable. put your point or clip on the bbatter and the other on the cable. if your test light lights up then you have a battery drain. at that point what i have done is check all switches fuses etc. Good luck