1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery drain issue any ideas?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MyWifesMule, Aug 10, 2006.

1. MyWifesMule

MyWifesMule Junior Member

I have a fisher MM1 that I took of of my old 1994 dodge 1500 ram 4x4 and had it professionally installed by a fisher dealer on my new 2005 dodge 1500 ram 4x4, so they had to change the wiring harness, module and head lights, etc.

The plow worked fine on my old truck but last winter when I first started plowing with the new truck I noticed that when I angle or raise the plow the battery voltage gage in the dash dropped all the way down to practically nothing and stalled the engine, I was able to finish plowing by keeping an eye on the battery voltage and releasing the angle or raise lever when it dropped to low.

I went back to the dealer and asked if he knew what was going on and he said it could be the newer trucks don't idle as fast and that could be the problem, he also suggested changing the pump oil and filter, which I did to no avail. I also checked the pump motor brushes and connections and all seem fine.

Has anyone else run across this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My 04 would drop the voltage pretty fast when moving the plow alot. I Just tried to move the plow while the truck was moving. Seemed to help alot. The older plow may draw a bit more than the new ones, but remember a plow draws ALOT of juice.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cheek your ground- and pos +cable connections.

Where did they ground it to?
    Use the same spot the MFG used to ground the ALT to for the -neg cable from your plow.
    Do not ground to the batt, it does make a difference.
    what size / gage wire did they use.

Then cheek the +pos connection at the solenoid and the batt.

what size alt and batt do you have?

Think 2 batts and a bigger alt.

Get 2- two 1000cca batts,
    Get a bigger alt.
    Get a 3/4 ton with the plow prep but as you have a 1/2 ton you need to upgrade the charging system/storage.
    and don't forget the suspension .

do a search on duel batteries,their it a lot of info on this subject.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  4. MyWifesMule

Thanks SnoFarmer I will check,

Where did they ground it to?
    Use the same spot the MFG used to ground the ALT to for the -neg cable from your plow.
    what size / gage wire did they use.
    Then cheek the +pos connection at the solenoid and the batt.
    what size alt and batt do you have?

I believe the alt is the same size thats in a 2500. I'll check the bat size, thanks.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The stock alt is most likely a 117 amp you can get a 136amp one,I know it does not sound like that much more but it does help. The plow is a high amp draw for a short time. so, you need all of the readily available amps you can muster.

6. MyWifesMule

I'll have to check on the alt. amp. rating after work.

Where did they ground it to? ( they used the negative post on the battery)

what size / gage wire did they use. (looks like a # 6)

Then cheek the +pos connection at the solenoid and the batt. (All the connections look good.)
    what size alt and batt do you have? (750 cc amp.)

THANKS.

7. MyWifesMule

I have check the alt. and its 136 amp. I'm stumped.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

9. MyWifesMule

A big THANKS for your help SnoFarmer. :waving:

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Any time ...:waving:

Hope some of it was useful to you..

11. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Voltage Question

:waving: Mule
    It sounds like your had the same problem I did, ( 2001-1500 Dodge) I added the second battery and had my alt. jumped up. This seemed to have taken care of the problem.

Palerider :gunsfiring:

12. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

were do you mount a second battery? under the hood

13. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Not to contradict some of the above advice but we delt with this problem on most of the1500 and larger new bocy dodges for the last two years.

Have come up with a very easy to do solution.

When installing a plow on the new dodges less the diesels you can do the following.

Power hooked up from batt + to Solenoid
    Solenoid to plow

Ground hooked up from Batt - to plow.

The big things are the following:

Add an additional ground cable #4 GA wire from the batt - to the truck frame rail. Clean the frame rail and use a bolt, lock nut and washers.

Add an additional jumper cable #4 GA wire from the Batt + to the alternator charging stud.

IF YOU DO AN AMP DRAW TEST ON THE STOCK WIRING SET UP
    '
    you will find that there is a big difference in the positive and negative leads for draw. The ground jumper fixes this.

The alternator is also working extremely hard to charge the batt with the #8 or #10 wire they use.

Have had continued success with this setup and it's now a standard when installing a plow on a non Diesel Dodge. For the Diesel's we add the alternator jumper to the far battery and the near battery and verifty the larger ground cable to the frame. IF it is not present we add one.

Hope this helps.

Jerre

P.S. bigger alternator is always a good thing but that alone will not solve the problem.

14. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Mounted 2nd Battery

Mo Toys,
    On my 2001 Dodge I mounted the 2nd battery under the hood on the passenger side fender well. I got the tray at Autozone. wesport

Ken

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You can test that battery first with a load tester, I would suggest that first.

I would think your battery even new, could be bad. That what happen to me one year, exact same system when my battery was crapping out. I had to plow that night in 4 wheel low to keep the thing charging. I replaced the battery and bingo. I went to Sears and got the biggest Rangehandeler they had and never had any issues afterwords.