1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery connection suggestions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ned, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

In the process of getting ready to install new fisher sd on my 2008 k1500. The oem positive battery connection has 2 heavy red wires coming off of it with a cam type connector for the battery terminal. the stud doesn't look long enough or heavy enough to attach the power cable for the plow to it. Any suggestions or thoughts? battery is located back left hand corner of motor compartment on passenger side Thanks

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I use the stud that sticks sr8up before the fuse.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take that out and put in a 3/8 bolt and nut. That's what I did on our gms

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bolt and nut works great on a sidepost battery but it won't help the OP. GM switched to top post on the GMT900 trucks

5. dieselss

Really 2. I did not know that I haven't delt with a 1/2 ton in years. Sorry my bad

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not just half tons...

7. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

when i wired mine up i put a switch in the line so i could make the pump motor spin backwards that way if i set the plow on concrete, i could have down pressure. Just set the plow down, flip the switch and put it in the float position which gives some down pressure, When it comes time to lift it up, flip the switch and push the joystick to the raise position

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any pics of that wiring? What kind of plow?

9. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Western plow. I replaced the chain with some square tube to transfer the down pressure as well. No pics of the wiring but i could get some when i hook up to my plow for the season

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pics are required, especially the down pressure mod on a Western

11. dieselss

Yea. I'm wondering myself. Thought it was only a 1 way cylinder

12. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

Thanks Brad I was looking at that. Where do you install the module?

13. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I did put a double acting cylinder on it i forgot to mention that. The valve box is just pressurized one way is why i had to rewire the pump to get down pressure

14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I velcrow them to the fuse box lid on the drivers side.

15. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

that's a sweet idea!

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you installed a double acting cylinder, why do have to spin the pump backwards?

17. dieselss

Did you install any new valving as well? With a double acting cylinder how are you getting psi to the "down psi" side of the cylinder? And how much psi is it?

18. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

don't you mean down suction? sound like you are just sucking the oil back out of the raise cylinder.

maybe you forgot to mention that you are pulling our legs? :)
    a double acting cylinder has a hose going to each end, and a valve to control the flow. if you are just reversing the pump where does the other hose go?

19. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Looks like my post (i thought i posted) is not showing up which explained it all. A backwards spinning pump does suck the oil out of the lifting side of the cylinder but if you hold the valve open that lets that oil come out of the cyliner then the backwards spinning pump will also pump the oil to the resirvoir but if you take the breather out of the resirvoir and tie a line from there to the other side of the cylinder then it will pump it there to give down pressure. Although doing this, you have to have minimal air in the system just like a brake system

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You expect us to believe you're running 1,000+ psi through the reservoir? What kind of fools do you think we are?