1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery choice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doh, Dec 2, 2004.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

I was just woundering what some top battery chioces are?

I have always used Delco 78 DT 7year but the last 2 or 3 have been horrible.They have only lasted 1 1/2-2 years and are weak after only a few months. Charging light comes on when I am using the plow with the headlights, heater etc, even after rebuilding the motor.

I run a single batt. Delco 105A output at low RPM alt , and do most of my plowing in the dark. This time I have lost my reciept so I am taking it as a sign to change. The side terminal started to leak rotting out the terminal it's self. Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Dual batteries would help a lot. I could never get a single battery to last more than 2 years or so tops in plow service.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Stay far away from Delco batteries. The positive lugs breaking off and leaking is a COMMON issue with them. My Dad had 2 replaced on his 95 Suburban when still under warranty. He then switched to Wal-Mart batteries and has had them ever since. I use the Wal-Mart batteries as well and find them to last very well. Plus, they are warrantied VERY well with pro-rating starting after an unusually long free replacement period. Plus there's a Wal-Mart in just about every town and they're often open 24 hrs, so if one craps out on you, you can take care of it anytime.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Sams club batteries are good too.
  5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I've been using the Delco 78 batteries and have had no problems.
    We put dual battery on all trucks and wire them together and they work fine.

Just check the eyeball on the battery from time to time to make sure it is green.

We have had some problems with the NAPA and Motorcraft batteries. I just had to buy my 6th Motorcraft battery for our '02 Ford.
    I was buying the 750, but deceided to go with the 850 this time. Maybe it'll last longer.
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have one optima deep cycle
  7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

Sears Die Hard GOLD, only the Gold

over 900 CCA, 3 year free replacement and 100 month pro rated warranty

never let me down yet, I have one in my single battery jeep for over 4 years now
  8. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:redbounce interstate always.
  9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

preach it brother....i have had my die hard GOLD for 6 years now, ran 3 years of summer duty in my High compression motor in my firebird than at winter it is switched to plowing duty. I have the 1200 CCA though. It has been drained dead many times, i also periodically check level of acid jsut too make sure.

Plus i am only running one alt (65 amps) and one batt. Soon to have dual large case alts though

Pricey but a damn good batt
  10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I have the Die Hard Gold also. Call it a waste of money, but I replace my batteries before the fourth winter. I have peace of mind by going that route with my trucks.

Just my .02¢
  11. schnitz

schnitz Member

I got 6 1/2 years out of my old Diehard gold and who knows how long it was in the truck before I bought it. The positive side post fell out 6 months before the battery died. Not bad in my book. I've got another one under the hood now. Best battery for piece of mind in my book.
  12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

CCA on the die hard gold varies according to size, I only spoke from personal expierence when I said mine was 900CCA, them old Cherokees dont take such a big battery

1200CCA is awesome, especially for a high compression engine with the starter close to the headers!
  13. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

One word for ya - Deka. IMO they are the best.
  14. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

No one has mentioned Motorcraft batteries but I have had great luck with them. The ones in both my 96' and 00' are original. 8 years on the original Motorcrafts is good enough for me to get another set of Motorcrafts if they ever need replaced. I have a set of Interstates in my plow truck and it seems like the tops are always wet with a little acid. The motorcrafts seem to truly be sealed as I have never seen any moisture whatsoever on top of them. I am going to also put Motorcrafts in the plow truck when the interstates go bad.