1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MajorDave, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Hey - I found a product that I am REALLY satisfied with - just thought I would share: Xtreme Battery Chargers...they're next generation - don't just charge, but recondition your existing battery and can actually make it younger and stronger.

I bought one last year for my Harley as the battery died and then sat all winter. Come Spring, researched chargers and found this new technology, plugged it in, and tested it. It was about dead, but didn't read dead as it will tell you if it is worthless. It charged, left it on so it "pulsed it," and it came out to 100% and has been going strong for a year. Battery was original 2009.

I liked it so much, I got a new one this week for a parallel battery set up for the Superduty as you need a different one for a dual-battery set up (or many batteries in line). You can use the single 12v for parallel batteries, but you would have to disconnect and do one at a time. I'm putting in a "leave-on" battery lead that I can just plug into anytime - it comes with it). Fired up these two batteries and its pulsing it right now. You can leave on like a trickle charger. They may even have a solar one - not sure.

OK - I know I sound like a salesman, but I swear I did not invent these nor do I sell them (and my friends or family don't either!), so I won't even tell you where to buy. I did get a good deal with no shipping on eBay though, but have at it yourself.

Just seems like a GREAT piece of gear so I thought I would share.
    www.xtremecharge.com

PS - Mine came with this (I guess new as I didn't get one with the last one) - a quick battery tester and it tests your alternator as well. Pretty cool.

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What is the cost?

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I've got a dozen or so 14v and 18v Makita Pod batteries which won't take a charge anymore. Wonder if it would work on them ?

4. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

If it would, probably would take some mods to hook it up, but wait - it's a 12v. Not sure. I bet you could contact them. Interesting thought though.

5. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I have the same unit. Was recommended to me by the folks at Alaska Battery Supply, have that same one in my personal truck and we have them at work.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is what I need too with 11 12 volt batteries I try and maintain.

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

You got me thinking about how many could you charge in parallel...found this - there is one for 2 in parallel like most trucks, then one for 4 and they apparently make one for up to 12....

-My new (to me) truck has 2 INTERSTATE Batteries in there and they tested at only 25%. They're at 100% now and I am letting it stay on there for a couple days or more. I was reading about the algorythmn that tests and then charges/desulfates/and then maintain Pretty interesting. I had the other for a year and am now really just learning about the technology behind it - hell, wish I did invent it!

From their FAQ:
    Can they be used on more than one battery at a time?
    It depends on the model. The standard Xtreme Charge (XC100) is designed for use on 12 Volt systems (2-6V batteries in series connection or one 12V battery only). The XC100 PARALLEL is designed for use on two 12V batteries connected in parallel. The SolarPulse (SP-2 and SP-5) are designed for use on 12V batteries. The SolarPulse will also charge more than one battery at a time. The 2-Watt works on two 12-volt batteries in parallel, while the 5-Watt works with up to four batteries in parallel. The PowerPulse 24, 36 and 48-volt systems are "voltage specific" which means they are designed to work only with their designated voltages: A 24-volt PowerPulse on a 24-volt battery system only, and so on.
    The RediPulse Pro-12 is designed to maintain up to 12 batteries at a time when in storage and/or waiting on a store shelf for sale.

8. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I have mine hard mounted in the truck cause my truck sits a fair bit.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yea, how much? their web site does not list prices.

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have one of these on my one truck that sits for a long time. Never dead now. Any of these smart chargers are good for just leaving plugged in.

Genius G3500 Compact Smart Charger / Maintainer For 12V 12Ah $51.00
    The G3500 is a smart, 8 Step, fully automatic switch-mode battery charger and maintainer. The G3500 restores batteries to their original capacity, recovers slightly sulfated batteries, charges batteries in cold climates, rescues drained batteries and provides maintenance charging to increase battery life. A versatile battery charger that provides charging modes for both large and small batteries from 1.2-120Ah,

11. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Looking at that Genius product I may look at that for the future as they are made in the US but the Xtreme I have is bought and paid for. There was also a sale on the 'Battery tender' product on black Friday.

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I paid $92 for the Parallel charger and can't quite remember for the single Xtreme...I think about $60. Bought both of eBay.

13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

That damn truck fired up like it hasn't before today though - wow...

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Here's what i read...hell - mine are paid for - so I'm done shopping. Guess this Pulse Techology makes the difference supposedly.

What makes PulseTech products different from other battery charging and maintenance products available on the market?
    PulseTech offers many battery charging and maintenance products that utilize our revolutionary and patented Pulse Technology. This technology is designed to help prevent the main cause of battery problems and failure: sulfation buildup (lead sulfate deposits on the battery plates) and related problems.
    Some products may claim to provide the same benefits as ours, but most of them merely try to "maintain" the battery by charging them on a constant basis. The problem is too much charging will ultimately overheat and damage the lead plates. In other words, the "cure" could be worse than the disease when not done properly.

Other products even claim to remove lead sulfate deposits from the plates. But, this too is usually done by over charging the plates with high voltage in order to literally knock the sulfates loose. In this situation, only a few sulfates are removed as active plate material sheds and falls useless away from the battery plates. It's sort of like blowing up the house just to get rid of the termites.

On the other hand, PulseTech products enable the embedded sulfates to leave the plates and converts them to active electrolyte. They also help prevent sulfates from building up again and won't harm the battery or the vehicle charging system in any way.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a regular old (their newer model though) "Battery Tender" brand for my bike, and it's still on it's original battery ('08). But I don't see the need for one on a truck that's a daily driver. Is there some advantage to plugging it in that I'm not aware of? Why wouldn't the alternator do an adequate job of charging your batteries if you drive it often? Unless of course the battery is getting old and starting to "show it's age".

16. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I bought mine because my truck does not get driven daily and regularly sits in the cold, and after going through one set of batteries I had enough of that ****.

17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I bought a battery and system checker last week and checked out the ol lady's car. That Damn thing kept saying the battery wasn't charged after I charged it with my separate charger. Then it wouldn't let me test out the starter even though the car would start. Somehow it said the alternator was ok. I threw a voltmeter on it before and the readings were off with the unit. I'm not satisfied with it & might check this out. I just need something to check out the batteries, starters, & alternators and make sure everything's working right.

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Jeff - I found this, which deals directly how we drive as Plow Operators...the one FAQ before this states new batteries can show up "sulfated" as it occurs when the acid is added (at production) then it sits before delivery and ultimately before it goes into your truck.
    Since sulfate buildup occurs more often with infrequently-used batteries, will I need Pulse Technology even if a vehicle is operated on a frequent basis, like a car or delivery truck?
    Absolutely. Even frequently-used batteries charged by the alternator on a consistent basis may suffer from sulfate accumulations. This is especially true for cars, express delivery trucks, buses and other vehicles.
    According to a leading service manual in the battery industry, "it is possible for a vehicle to develop an undercharged battery if it is constantly driven at slow speeds and left idling for long periods, as in heavy traffic and combined with high electrical load conditions." If a vehicle is moving at slower speeds, idling a lot or suffering from an overtaxed electrical system the alternator is not allowed to charge at an optimum rate. The result is a battery that is not fully charged even though the vehicle is running all day. And since it isn't fully charged, it will begin to sulfate. A vicious circle is then created because the more the battery sulfates the less energy it will accept and the battery will be undercharged even more. Ultimately, it too will become sulfated and fail to provide energy.

By keeping the battery plates clean with Pulse Technology, the battery capacity is increased so it will accept and store energy more efficiently which will help eliminate the problem of undercharging.

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Okay, gotcha. Thanks.