1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery charger personal plow only truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JCByrd24, Dec 12, 2007.

1. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Any of you have any slick setups for your personal yard plow rig. I just got a new battery, last one was 6 years old and given the turtuous nature of the life of my plow truck electrical system (cold start, plow for 15-20 minutes, get put away beaten and tired) and want to try to maintain the battery as much as possible. Basically an automatic charger on a timer 4-6 hours per day. I park right next to my garage (under cover in carport) and want to keep the charger inside and want to either charge through the cig outlet or wire up a 12v outlet, a house style plug (for 12v obviously), or some other sort of quick connect directly to the battery. I'd like to source locally. I'm thinking 1 connection on side of the garage that I can hook the chargers big alligator clips to on the inside, and then a disconnectable at both ends cord (basically an extension cord) to another connection at the truck. Anyone have any fun ideas.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Battery Tender Plus will take care of the timer concerns for you and automatically charge and maintain your battery. It can be left on all the time and will go into storage mode when charge is not needed. Good for AGM batteries too, if that is what you have.They come with wiring that can either use clips or bolt directly to your battery terminals and plug in through your grill or wherever, as easily as you would plug in an engine block heater or plow connection at your grill. There are also other chargers that will have similar hookups. The motorcycling community is big on using them. They make multi bank ones if you have more than one vehicle that needs to be hooked up at the same time.