1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery charger or Battery Maintainer

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CSLC, Jan 8, 2014.

1. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

My truck has a draw somewhere. I don't know if it's a bad ground or what but when the truck sits for more then a day the battery dies. What can I use for the battery to maintain a charge so I don't have to call AAA everytime I need to go somewhere.

2. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

not trying to be a jerk, but find the draw... a battery maintainer is a bandaid on a cut that needs stitches...

drawing the battery down to the point where it wont start in just one day is very significant.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

where's the picture?

4. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

How do I find the draw? I have had problems since I bought the truck. The stealership that sold me the truck went out of business.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

What you can do in the mean time until you get it fixed is to buy a swan connector and put it on the battery post.

basically gives you a switch to cut the current when your not using it.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

disconnect negative battery terminal, put multimeter in series between terminal and lug. set meter to amps. be sure door is closed and no accesories are on. what is the reading? if it reads anything close to 1 amp, you have a draw somewhere. start pulling fuses 1 by 1. when you see the amps drop, then you found the affected circuit.

7. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

Will any miltimeter work, I dont have one. So I need to buy one....

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. But you get what you pay for
    A test light will also work. But not as accurate.

9. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

What do u recommend for a multi?

10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Based on your questions, I'd recommend taking the vehicle to a qualified tech for repair. Not trying to be an arse, but I'm thinking this is above your technical ability.

11. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Is the battery JUNK

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I've used a test light most of the time.

The old style tube automotive bulbs work good too. They require less amps than a test light to light up. Most cases a test light is enough.

13. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

The battery is brand new last yr. Its an optima yellow top

14. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Might want to get it checked out. Had to bring back a napa bat in the wifes car. Turned out I bought it on jan 9 last year. Guy checked it out and said it was junk.They gave me a new one.

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Find the draw would be the main concern

16. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I love it when I can learn something new:
    <http://www.dpciwholesale.com/Swan-Type-Battery-Terminal.html>
    <http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-936W-Everstart-SWAN-Terminal-Disconnect/16006670>
    And for those of us stuck with side-post batteries: <http://www.amazon.com/Side-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N72FES>

Thanks for that info! Thanks to Linckeil, too. :salute:
    I have some suspects for where the "juice" in my battery might be sneaking off to, but I need to narrow it down. I might be breaking out the DMM tomorrow, and doing some troubleshooting.

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

It's a temporary fix until you can narrow it down. And a cheap one over all. Especially if you don't have a warm shop and are waiting for a good day to tackle a draw issue.

The only draw back is that all your equipment will re-set with the disconnection, but, it's probably no different than draining your battery and having to jump start it.

18. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

19. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

^^^ More good stuff. I wondered how he checked both volts and amps without changing the current path. That's a Midtronics PBT-100 tester he's using; around $115 on Amazon. Seems like a good investment.
    The PBT-200 is about $60 more on Amazon, but can show CCA.

Does anyone here use a ZTS LA-2 tester? I have a lot of 6V sealed lead-acid batteries, and the LA-2 will work down to 2 volts, where the Midtronics only covers 8-17 volts. The ZTS is more expensive, and doesn't have a digital readout; it just shows AH, as 1-4A, 5-15, 16-50, or 51-200AH.
    How good would that be for automotive stuff?

Thanks. Back to topic. :nod: