1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery cable

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dettipio, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dettipio

dettipio Junior Member

Can anyone tell me what gauge battery cable to use for a 14 foot run. Its for my back plow pump.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

How will the battery be hooked up?Through an isolator as a 2nd battery? As the main battery? What will it be operating? How many amps is the alternator putting out.
    14ft sounds like the battery will be under the hood and the pump will be in the bed. I would say at least 2/0 welding cable it is very flexible. Make sure you have good crimps on the ends

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

We need to know max draw on the electric pump(how many amps), duty cycle, and if it's going to a second battery or directly to the electric motor.

4. dettipio

dettipio Junior Member

its going from the main battery directly to the pump in the bed.

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

you need to answer blizzard beaters question of amps and cycle to properly size the wire. if your not sure call the manufacturer of the pump