1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery and altenator Q

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brookline, Oct 23, 2009.

1. brookline

brookline Senior Member

what does everyone recommend to safely have enough juice? Will a single battery and a 95amp alt. work? I'm thinking of putting a yellow top optima in it and the alternaor is newer already.

2. Thomas.Creation

Thomas.Creation Member

All depends on how you operate your truck. The battery will help but you would be better off adding it so you have two, rather than replacing the other. 95 amps is small but will do the job if the alternator is given a break now and then to charge the batteries back up.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Good battery choice. As mentioned consider adding it.....I would also consider upgrading your alternator.

Take every opportunity to plow using your running lights and beacon only. Many sites will be lit enough to do this ~ save the juice so you can keep a little Stevie Ray Vaughn going in the background.

View attachment Stevie_Ray_Vaughan.bmp

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

6. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Dont waste your money on a yellow top optima. Buy an interstate. The reason I say this is the most important spec on a battery if you are going to be drawing a consistant amount of power is the reaserve capacity. The reserve capacity is the amount of amp hours drawn before the battery is dead, without charging. If you compare the same size interstate battery with a yellow top optima, you will see the interstate has at least 20 to 30 more amp hours on reserve capacity at about half the price.

7. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

and take the money you save from not buying the worthless optima batteries and upgrade your alternator.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Before we get too carried away - What is your setup?

He could be running an engine driven Fisher, and gas spreader, on a 72 Chevy with carb and points.

9. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I have a 95 F250 and a BOSS super duty plow and a western tailgat spreader that will only be used about 10% of the time this year. Thank you all of the excellent info everyone.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely want to upgrade your alternator, especially with the spreader. It's OK to exceed your alternator output for a couple seconds running your plow, but the spreader will be running for a much longer duration.

Napa has a 155 amp kit, at least for the GMs. I presume there is something similar for Ford. Make sure you get the high output charge kit too. If your current battery is fresh and decent sized, you will be OK. For a while anyway. Alt would be the priority for me.

11. brookline

brookline Senior Member

Why am I having such a hard time finding an alt. Over 95amps for my truck? Nothing at Autozone, Murrays, or advance auto. Do I really need one higher than 95amps? Is this why I can't find any over it?

12. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's your problem. Go to Napa or Carquest. Or online such as DBelectric

14. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

You should be able to find a 200amp alternator at a REAL auto parts store like NAPA. Come on now Im only 17 and even I know that.

15. brookline

brookline Senior Member

well I settled on a Duralast Gold series battery. It has 1000 cranking 850 cca and 150 reserve compared to 1000ca 800ca and 120 resrve of an optima and it is about $80 cheaper. Seems to hold up well... I put it through a test run with no snow and it held up great at 25 degree. Alt charges perfect. I had it hooked up to a tester while going crazy with the plow. I guess I will see how it does when I finally get my first pushable event. If needs being after that I will add another one.

16. thesnowman269

I bought the same battery last season. it worked well but i noticed alot of dimming in my headlights this morning when i went to put the plow up before i left.

17. brookline

brookline Senior Member

so you did not have any problems with it last season? They have a 3 year replacement and an 8 year limited warranty on them. I would take that baby back at any sign of trouble. :drinkup:

18. thesnowman269

Nope no problems at all! well worth the price. I accidentaly left the trucks lights on for about an hour and a half came back outside and the truck started right up no troubles