1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery & Alternator for Toyota

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Jul 8, 2001.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1989 Toyota pickup with 22RE engine. My truck comes with 60 amp alternator. The problem is that if I buy and put a 6.5' four way plow on my truck it will draw alot of power from my battery. I thought about replace my existing battery with an Optima Yellow top battery. But is that good enough or not? Or would I also need to get a bigger alternator? I would like to avoid upgrading the alternator because I know it will be a pain to change it and it could make things worse. I don't think I can run dual because there is no room for second battery. Anyone who have experience with Toyota and/or other small truck, what do you think and if any, what would be your suggestion?
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have a link to a guy's website, who owns a Toyota,and who has installed dual betteries, as well as installing a higher output alternator. Let me look for the link.....

Here it is. It also talks about welding with batteries!!
    (Mr. 75 might enjoy that part!)

And, on his Cheap Tricks page, Roger has many other tricks and tips.

He has a Toyota 4 Runner, but it has the 22RE motor. Actually, this web site is a great resource for anyone who does their own mechanical repairs.

Here's the home page:

Hope it helps Stephen!

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

That WAS an interesting link Chuck (welding with batteries especially, but I found a lot of the other info good as well)

I think that I'll keep using the Miller Big40 that just went on "my" welding truck though...................;)
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Send me an e-mail or give me a call. I will tell you everything you need to know about plowing with Toyotas. I have been using them for 8 years.
  5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Chuck Smith - I think I saw the link about the battery welder on your site some time ago. Thanks for reposting it here.

75 - I do like the 100% duty rating for the welder. Not bad for an ememgency situation to keep things going on the road.
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Someday I'm going to have to give "battery welding" a try............................ Was just looking at some of our welding procedure sheets, and for Fluxcore (FCAW) and MIG (GMAW) the voltage setting ranges between 20 - 30 volts, depending on material thickness, wire diameter etc, so 24 - 36 volts from 2 or 3 batteries isn't too far off the mark. (For stick (SMAW) no voltage is specified, just amperage) And from a battery, it's DC current so 7018 will be happy.

Rooster - I think the "100% duty cycle" reference was to the equipment in the community college shop. I just checked "my" Big40 - it's 100% duty cycle :D so I can do some SERIOUS burnin' now!