1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by toast, Dec 6, 2007.

1. toast

toast Member

Well I have a 2000 PSD, and every time I've started it, it gets slower, and slower to start. The previous owner put in new batteries last year, but I think they might be junk. The first crank is always the hardest for the starter. Its to a point that I dont think it will start in the morning. I havent plugged it in yet, and it doesnt matter how many cycles for the glow plugs, or whether or not the motor is warm. Today, just raising the plow was enough to kill the truck at idle, after a tough start. Does it sound like crappy batteries, or starter pulling too many amps?? I have Amsoil synthetic oil in it. Suggestions? (contacts are clean!) Didnt put a voltmeter to it, but the Voltage gauge shows decent voltage when running.

What batteries do you Diesel guys run? I had an Optima Yellow top that I loved in my Jeep....

2. toast

toast Member

afternoon crew!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Run it over to a Ford dealer they should check the battery for free.
  4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Check the CCA's of the batteries. Make sure that they are even adequately sized. It takes 500-600 CCAs just to turn that baby over. Also check your alternator. It might be starting to go on you. Your saying that it does start and run, but if I had to put money down I would but it somewhere between the alternator and the batteries.
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

try about 750 too 800cca min for a diesel from the factory there 750cca. i had a good run on the motorcrafts there pretty good some guys like the interstates megatron i think there about 850cca and go for 120 a battery don't quote me . plugging her in really helps alot i run mine on the HD outdoor timer i got from home depot and have it kick on about 3 hrs before i go too work . test with a load on her with your dvom with lights and radio on see what you got check your connections are will little bit of cheese on the wires will have high resistance .
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Try 50 CCA per glow plug plus the starter motor.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A good parts store should be able to test your batteries and charging system. Check and clean all the connections and protect them with Dielectric Tune up Grease.Make sure you get ALL the ground connections cleaned and protected. I would think 2 one year old batteries should be OK unless they are real cheap ones.
  8. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

If the batteries check out OK, you could have a glow plug relay that has welded itself together. Had that happen a couple times........
  9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

good batteries is the Key!

I use decas an they work awesome , plenty of cold cranking amps to rotate the motor fast enough to start. Diesels have twice the compression of a gas truck an require mean batteries to crank it!! hope all goes well George
  10. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

It's December, why haven't you plugged it in yet?
  11. toast

toast Member

Nope, havent plugged it in regularly. The 2 times I have plugged it in, I could not tell a difference. I had it plugged in for at least 4 hours each time....The problem was only 1 battery was trying to start the beast. Starts just fine now!
  12. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

what kinda of batteries did you end up getting ?
  13. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

I am runnig the Interstate Megatron in my 6.0L and I am happy so far. Just remember to replace both at the same time.
  14. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

plugging in the 6.0 is pointless unless you are using it on a glacier icepack in the boonies of alaska. The glow plugs actually warm up on our trucks way before the light flicks off. If the truck is a couple years old then change the batteries. I just changed mine in my 2005. get the 850 Cranking Amps batts, they start the truck up nicely, and do well running tons of auxilery stuff.