1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by f350dieselemt, Nov 8, 2007.

1. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

Does Anyone recomend any specific type of batteries for a 2005 F-350 Diesel? I heard Optima batteries are amazing they are also $200.00.. any feedback would be great
  2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I know the thread says dual setups but then it shows you that alot of guys say the biggest duralast works very well. Many have different opinions and many say optima was good but not worth the money. Hop this helps. Mike

3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Optima's aren't necessary unless you off-road a lot. They're meant to withstand excessive shock and being inverted. If you're plowing with a street truck, any name brand high CCA battery will do fine. Most name brand batteries are all made by Johnson Controls anyway.

Walmart Everstart Maxx 65N; 850 CCA
    Motorcraft® silver BXT-65-850
    Auto Zone (Duralast Gold)
    Interstate Mega-Tron Plus
    Toyota (TrueStart)
    Mitsubishi (Diamond Car Care)
    Advance Auto (Autocraft Titanium)
    Costco (Kirkland Signature)
    Pep Boys (ProStart & Energizer)
    btw, Johnson also mfg. Optima brand

Wherever you can find the cheapest price on any of the above batteries is where you should buy.
  4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Mudman...go for the high cranking amps...you Don't need the optimas
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Well Guys
    I would buy the Yellow tops. Yes they are alot of $$$ but they will not let you down. The amount of times you can draw most of the power and recharge them is alot better than any of the other top batteries. This is their biggest assest, Most of the other only have a discharge cycle that will take a full discharge a few times. When you have alot of draw, like you do when plowing, salting and warning lights running the yellow tops are the way to go IMOA. I know alot of you won't agree with me, but I have been running yellows for a year now and have not had one issue. I run a 8.5 boss with a snowex vbox, led bar on the roof and a whellen 6 head strobe in the headlight and taillights along with the heater and radio running.

Regards Mike
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree,
    I run duel batteries made by Orbital there Optima copies.
    they look the same just all black, their rated at 1000cca-770 cold .

A cheap battery or one with plates can leave you with a dead battery mid stream, the plates will fail and short the batt the result is a dead battery or one that will not hold a charge.
    At this point the warranty is worthless as you are now out of business until you get a new battery.
    Penny wise, dollar foolish.:waving:
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I run dual red top Optima's.

I don't believe there is a time when we are fully discharging any battery while plowing. The alternator is always maintaining charge.

Dual batteries hooked up in parallel, recharged by a 140+ A alternator is a plowers dream.

I do believe in the Optima's though. The banging and bumping that occurs while plowing is rather extreme.

I've never had a standard type battery last it's full rated life in a plow truck. EVER.
  8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Yellow tops are deep cycle wich means they are meant to be fully discharged many times... That is worthless for a plow truck! Dual red tops here !
  9. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

Looking at the Optima website, looks like yellow might actually be better for plowing.

"The YellowTop is one of the only true dual-purpose batteries available. It is commonly used in any application that demands cranking power and heavy cycling. Trucks with winches, cars with high-demand audio systems, commercial trucks and equipment all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep cycle power."

I think plowing would qualify as "heavy cycling"