1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

batteries what do you run

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Eliw, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Eliw

Eliw Member

Battery is dying. Its a napa deep cycle it is almost 2years old. What are your guys running? Is it normal for a battery to only last 2 years when used for plowing?

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have two Yellow tops Optimas in my truck. They don't give them away but the do the job.

Mike

3. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

I have Triple red top Optimas... Doesnt stress the alternator much when everything is running. Although I have the third on a Perko switch in the back, so when I run my 14k Winch off the back, there isnt such a long current draw to the front of the truck. Also, if the twins die up front, I can flip the Perko switch to the third battery and still start the truck.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Optima, they work well.

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I have a pair of Optima's in my truck and 4 of them in my boat. The ones in my truck are 3.5 years old and the ones in my boat have been in there since 2003. Haven't had to jump either one. Like the other guy's said they aren't the cheapest but they are the best.

6. rayzor32

rayzor32 Junior Member

acdelco, interstate or carquest.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

duralast! work great, price is right, and great warranty...no questions asked!

8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

As soon as my origionals on any machine/truck start to go I get Interstate deep cells. Great batteries.

9. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Energizers from Walmart, 3 year straight excange, 6 yr total on a pro-rate after that.

10. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Diehard Gold from sears.

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've got a Yellow Optima that's going on 8 years and still going strong, just had to replace a Blue after 2 years. I'm trying out a Deka now after hearing good things about them, take some measurements and cram the biggest battery possible in.

12. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have two interstate MTP 1000 cranking amp batteries

13. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Im not going to bad mouth deka, but based on my personal experience I would tell you to get interstates like I did

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Too late, lol, I've had good luck with them in our equipment at work and those get almost completely drained on a daily basis also it was only $65 so if it makes it a year I'll be happy, the Blue was around $200 and only made it 2.:mad:

15. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I have 2 red top optimas

17. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

Only Interstate here.

18. starc

starc Senior Member

2 1000 amp Energizers from Walmart as well, never any problems.

19. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

2 Interstate MTP's here

20. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I'm going to be in the market soon for new batteries as the acdelco's in my truck are the original ones from 05. They haven't caused me any problems yet but I think it's good insurance to change them this year I was looking at getting Duralast Gold from Autozone. they have then priced at 98.00 a piece with a seven year warranty. I'm still going to do some checking around because as stated earlier, I want the biggest battery that will fit to go in my truck.