1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Batteries freezing?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by IhatesnowMN, Feb 20, 2015.

1. IhatesnowMN

IhatesnowMN Junior Member
    from MN

New to the forum and I got some questions. I'm in the MN Twin Cities. we have been running Napa batteries in our trucks. The winter has been mostly dry, not even that cold. Our trucks have only been driven about twice a month, I've replaced at least 5 batteries because they keep freezing. Is it true I could have a draw or just poor quality batteries? :confused: I want to store the batteries inside until a snow event, but the higher up's said no.. Any help would be great.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you could have a draw.
    What do you mean.....store them inside?
  3. Use a tender and they won't freeze then the charge will make enough heat to be Ok
  4. IhatesnowMN

IhatesnowMN Junior Member
    from MN

Yeah, the batteries. Awesome times, half of my trucks have a draw then.. What do you mean a tender?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's a big draw to bring them down to a point there frezing like that.

Time to do a parasitic power draw test?
    And load test the batts.

Start and run them once a week or a tender,
    Mine can set a couple of weeks or more at these temps and still
    It's when it gets -30 I like to run them more often

Ps install a batt disconnect switch.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  6. H.M.R

H.M.R Junior Member

You can normally get away with a battery isolation switch for when the truck is not in use And starting them up twice a week. If not a battery insulator wrap and a tender/trickle charger will solve the problem. You can also look into heated battery blankets, but thsy do draw down some power keeping it warm.
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Tender small Charger 2 amp some are 1 amp

My tractors has them built in. They sit a lot Plug them up to warm the blocks also charges the Batteries

If yours sits out side they make solar tenders.
  8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Battery tender, some call them trickle chargers. They keep the batteries at full. It's GREAT peace of mind to park the truck, plug it in and know the batteries will be 100% when you need them.

Mine fits perfectly under the hood latch. Four little screws to secure to the plastic and hooked up to a battery. Zero problems, and fast starts, regardless of temps.
  9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have one of these on a truck that does not get used much. I just plug it in every week and it always starts now. The truck came with an aftermarket programer + alarm + remote start. There is a draw all the time. I could take all the crap off but this works too. You could just leave it plugged in all time but I have a heater hooked with it because this truck sits in an unheated building.
  10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Battery cut off switch will be cheapest option, after that battery maintainer/trickle charger costs 15-45 or it could be junk batteries.