1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Batteries for 1999 Jimmy

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by milwaukeevtwin, Nov 7, 2008.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I have read several post and want to know wherei should start first. Should i add a battery and see if that works first or should i have my alternator beefed up first. I talk to a guy and he said he could beef the alternator up to 115 amps. Is this enough? My lights dim when i flip my switches, but i will have to mount a battery in the rear of the Jimmy, because there is no room under the hood. I already installed the biggest battery under the hood. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Ron.
  2. huss691981

huss691981 Member

The bigger altonator may help, a second battery will help but you need an isolator. But overall, most everyone's lights dim a little when the plow is activated. As long as the battrry is charging, I woulden't worrie about it too much. Mike
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I had the same problem. So when I was done plowing, I turned the engine off and put a volt meter on the battery and it was just a little over 12 volts if I remember correctly. When I started it up the volt meter went up to around 14 and then back down to 12. I had already put a new battery in at Walmart and they checked the charging system and just said it was good.
  4. milwaukeevtwin

I installed 4 guage for all my wiring and put a 1,000 cranking amp battery with a 165 amp:dizzy: alternator and i have no problems, Now.
    Thanks, Ron
  5. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

What kind of plow are you running on the Jimmy?
  6. milwaukeevtwin

I am running a Meyer.It is not my choice, but i found it used for a good price and i almost got it payed for. This is it's first year for a few residentials. I have another truck with a Boss v plow, but i need to put a new engine, in that, so this was a quick fix, for the jimmy. I have not had any problems with it, since i went through it this fall. It just acted up tonight and i think, it is just a loose wire.
    Thanks, Ron:bluebounc