1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Basics for municipal work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by omsk, Nov 16, 2008.

1. omsk

omsk Junior Member

Because of my relationship with a small local borough I have an opportunity to bid for their snow removal. Currently they have an adjoining (large) township providing the service, but the borough is low priority - meaning that the streets in the borough are done last, and often not particularly well. As you can imagine the residents in the borough could be happier...

Obviously the contracts are in for this year (2008/2009) but I am seriously considering bidding for next season. The borough is about 4/10 of a square mile, with about 2/3 of that actually developed as typical residential neighborhood. The remaining third is occupied by a large middle school (part of the regional district) that provides its own snow removal. The 2 main roads through the borough are both state roads, with the state DOT providing service for them.

As you can see its not a big place, but I suspect that its probably more than I want to do with one 1 ton pickup. Also, I have been told that in order to provide salt application I will need to have a truck "certified" as having the correct flow rate/pattern.

Are there any contractors here working in Pennsylvania, in particular the Philadelphia suburban area, who have direct knowledge of municipal subcontracting? Is the "certification" of salting equipment true? And of course do you have any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any input

2. omsk

omsk Junior Member

Nobody with any input?