1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Basic Q's about truck and plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plowdummy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. plowdummy

plowdummy Junior Member

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and know little or nothing about plows/plowing. However, I've been working on and around pickups and small tractors all my life, so I have some degree of knowledge - probably just enough to get myself into trouble (hence my user ID "plowdummy").

Anyway, I'm looking at an '86 Dodge W150 4x4 with a Meyer 7.5' plow. It's in rough shape. The seller is asking $1295/obo, and I'm really on the fence about whether I should make him an offer. Here's the scoop:

The truck is a 318 automatic. The Meyer plow looks newer (I don't have the model number). I didn't see any leaks in the hydraulics, or any obvious damage to the assembly. The seller says he added helper springs to the front, and also added a tranny cooler.

As for the truck itself, the body is rusted pretty bad. Frame looked okay, although I wasn't able to drive it on the open road to see how it handled at highway speed. Engine seemed to run well, trans shifted fine, plow appeared fully operational. The truck is just ugly and rusty.

However, one thing in favor of buying this particular truck is that I have an '86 D150 2WD pickup as a parts donor. The donor truck's body is relatively clean, so I'm considering doing a full body swap.

I checked into insurance and found that I can get a commercial policy for $360/6 mo. to cover plowing. At that rate, I might be able to pay for a lot of this with a few small residential jobs. Other than that, it would mainly be for my own personal snow removal.

So, what do you think - if I can get this truck for something in the vicinity of $1100 with a working Meyer plow, is that 'good' or 'stupid' or (insert other adjective)...?

Thanks for your advice.
    Dan in MI
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think I'd be inclined to get it. You're obviously mechanically inclined. If you decide not to fix up the truck, use it for your own driveway and get another truck to plow commercially if that's what you want to do. But if not, you'd still have this setup for your own stuff. You can always swap the plow to another vehicle, part out this one or whatever. Any working 4wd is worth $1,000 around here. Figure for $1300 - that's $700 for the plow $600 for the truck. Seems like a deal to me.
  3. bank32

bank32 Member

Any working 4wd is worth $1,000 around here. Figure for $1300 - that's $700 for the plow $600 for the truck. Seems like a deal to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Not bad at all.
  4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I also agree that it sounds like a decent deal.

Everyone's got to start somewhere. It'll take you no time to pay for that rig and then the rest is profit. If you're smart, you'll take the profit and set it aside until you have enough money to buy a later model truck in better shape with perhaps a new or newer plow which would become your main truck and then you have the ugly old Dodge for a backup truck. One thing leads to another, but you get nowhere unless you get started in the first place.

Good luck.
  5. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. This is my first year and I bought a older truck with a plow. It isn't as bad as the one you're describing, but the lesson I'm learning is to not fix what ain't broke.
    In other words, fixing stuff that isn't needed to make the truck run, cuts into your profits.
    If you can live with an ugly truck, and you can get tags on it by doing some patch work instead of completely rebuilding the truck, and get some accounts to make some money, do it.
  6. plowdummy

plowdummy Junior Member

Thank you!

Just wanted to thank everyone for your honest and thoughtful feedback. I'm leaning more toward making an offer on the truck. If it goes through, I'm sure I'll be back with another string of novice questions for y'all. Thanks again for helping me think through this - this is a great forum and a great group of folks.

Dan in MI
  7. urhstry

urhstry Junior Member

plowdummy, you would be getting a deal. Email me privately and I think I may be able to help you out more. I have an 86 W250 and I am doing a body swap too.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would say go for it...
  9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute--except to maybe offer him a grand at first and mention the body is in such rough shape!(you can always offer more)----If you can fix it--Great! Have you looked at what new plows go for!!!!!! Best of luck
  10. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I would have to agree also with douglasl330, I would definitely offer $1000 due to the body rust. You will probably get it at that price, if not $1295 is still a heck of a deal.

Plow prices new and installed around here are anywhere from $3500-$5200 depending of course on what brand and size.

I would say go for it payup
  11. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a GREAT deal!!!!

But I would want to take it out on the highway for a short drive just for saftey purposes! The truck or the seller may be hiding something!! JMO

Best of Luck!!!