1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Basic plow education needed - all experts welcome.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tahoe99, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Hi -

I never plowed, never had a plow. For next winter I want to buy a used plow to mount it on my 99 Tahoe. What kind of setups are there ? I saw the electric personal snowplows by SowBear. Nice, but I like the power angle feature of a regular plow. Also I see some plow setups with pumps under the hood of the truck, how are they driven, of what ? Also, some plows, when not mounted, come off the truck completely with the lights and only the subframe of the plow is left on the truck. Others leave the the vertical frame with the pump and lights on the truck (do not want those). I know there are names for every setup. Please explain.

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

for a Tahoe and you'll only be doing light work i would say Fisher Homesteader. The pumps under the hood are central hydralics. Your truck doesn't have them and it would be a pain to install them. Everything comes off on a Fisher so you don't have to worry about that, and it only hangs down a few inches if ground clearence is an issue. I push with a 9' Fisher on a 350 and I like it more then the Western that we use to have. For the most part any new plow you will buy everything detaches, only older plows the pump and lights can't come off.
  3. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I plow with a 99 Tahoe too. I chose the Blizzard 760LT because it was light (550 lbs), well designed, close dealer (for service), and the price. When everything is off the truck, it looks clean. Most plow setups these days are clean with the plow off though.

Lots of posts on this subject, so do a search. DEFINITELY put timbrens on it, or swap out for the 3/4 ton torsions bars. Make sure your tires are rated for the extra weight too! I went with BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's (E-rated)
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I say blizzard 760LT too. One of the best if not the best light weight plows out there.

Just stay as far away as you can from a meyer plow. They are pure junk.
  5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

marcin99 - what are you plowing ... ??? commercial ... or residential or your own driveway ???
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I use a Blizzard 760LT too. I'd say go that route. Im not knocking snowbear or the other smaller, light duty manufactures, But I'd say a blizzard would out preform and live that snowbear. A plow is an investments. Get your money's worth.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What do you plan on using this for? As in just plowing your own driveway/parking lot or plowing for others (commercially). If just your own stuff and you want the angling feature, get something like a Western Suburbanite or Fisher Homesteader or something with a designation of LD (Light Duty). If you're going to be doing more, then get up to an RD (Regular Duty) or commercial grade. Most all the plows detach easily from the vehicle. Each has its own system, but basically it seperates the plow (accurately called a moldboard), A frame and lights leaving only the mounting frame under the truck which bolts to the truck's frame.

Although I have my preferences (as does everybody else), I'd say every brand has it's advantages. Just be aware that you'll "get what you pay for" and do a balancing act between cost and convenience.

If you want electric angling, you'll be paying about $3000-4000. Then you'll usually have a choice of controllers - handheld or stationary (joystick). I've had both and each has advantages. I prefer the joystick although many others definately prefer the handheld.

Depending on the brand, you'll have either a steel or poly moldboard. Again, each has its advantages. Whichever you get, get in the habit of maintaining it and repairing chips as they occur. Learn how to change hydraulic fluid and do so as recommended by the manufacturer. Many problems can be avoided by changing fluid - including going out to plow early in the morning only to have the plow not lift or angle (moisture condensed in pump and froze - preventing fluid from getting to angling rams:realmad: ).

I know "electric" angling isn't quite accurate, but I was just trying to distinquish from "manual angle".
  8. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Basic education needed - I am plowing just my driveway and maybe neighbours.

Hi -

I would plow just my driveway, and maybe 2-3 more for neighbours as a courtesy. Probably you guys will tell me to get the SnowBear type, which I considered before. Maybe that will be my choice.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That is how it starts( just my driveway, and maybe 2-3 more for neighbours as a courtesy.) lol

A Snow Bear will work O.k. for a while.
    If you spend a little more and get a plow with full hydraulic controls. Like a Boss, Meyer or a Sno-way. Would be good choices, You will get more life out of them too.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Never - especially if you're "... and maybe 2-3 more...". Like SnoFarmer said - that's where it starts. Always get a little bigger than you think you'll need.
  11. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. I only wanted a few drives when I started this year. Now im totally into plowing, love it. I want to trade in my 04 Ram 1500 for a 3500 and get into some serious plowing!!
  12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Just do one more...

Yep it will get ya just one more ok one more LOL.... So my advice get a full action plow yea it a couple of bucks more but it is money well spent and there is always used plows after this type of season. Some people think that every season will make then tons of money but its the long haul guy that make the money and most guys start out this way. So look around first and get the most for your buck.Welcome to the site ask away on questions here its the best place to get answers..:waving:
  13. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Another point to bring up here:

Should you not like plowing or have to move or something along those lines, you will be able to get a higher resale value for the plow! Just something else to consider.