1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Basher and B&B your attention to this Matter Please!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tls22, Dec 7, 2008.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Just got back from a salting event for my Boss, everything went b-e-autiful! But as i was driving home from the yard i notice when i was moving my plow around the lights where dimming on me inside the cab! Is this something i should be worry about? I have Sirius radio and the heat was blasting at my feet! Not other gadgets i can think of that would draw power. I plowed 3 times last winter and i don't think i had this problem!

Thanks for your concern to this matter!:waving:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A certain amount of light dimming is considered as "normal" Tim.

As to how much it just depends on the truck, the quality of the battery and its condition, and how much you run the plow and spreader.

3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thankyou B&B, perhaps one day i will buy u a beer!:drinkup:

Thanks for all the help, now i can relax a bit! I was getting jumpy!:redbounce

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the volt gage and lights come right back after let up on the plow control? If so, then don't be concerned, its normal. :waving:

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah after im done moving the blade in any which direction the lights go back to normal! Thanks B&B, now i feel better about this!:waving::drinkup:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Bald ???????????????????????

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

While it's normal, is it getting worse then it has been? Might be worth getting your battery tested.

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks Basher, i did not notice it last winter! But to notice it now, i should get the battery tested! Thanks for the help!

Did you shake any salt last night?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No might go out mid-day and do some odd spots but we didn't get hit too hard. Everybody is being real tight this year, I had one of my normal ZERO tolerance developments called and say to hold off until we see if todays sun melts what they have. i'm hoping the wind keeps blowing and nothing melts so I can get some bill-ables in this afternoon

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah we have talk about it, welcome to the new times! Well i hope for the best basher, no sun just yet! I know the wind is suppose to start whipping up around 2pm! I hope the end of the week brings some flakes!:waving:

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You think thats bad .:cry: I had my tranny rebuilt in Oct .:realmad: today no reverse wont came out of 2 gear in drive . but it stays in park ?:dizzy: I did get my route done !!!

12. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

That sucks crb, thanks for the snow! I was not comparing problems, im just trying not to fall into a situation like urs lol (sorry) :p What does a tranny and some dimming light have in common, absolutely nothing i think!:p Just trying to prevent then react!:rolleyes:

13. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

ya ya ya so what you can't take my snow so you'll kill my truck .LOL
    I know you want to live in Ohio , but don't kill my poor truck to get a route lol please excuse me i had a bad day :cry:

BTW sorry tim for the high jacking on your thread

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Im sorry to hear about the truck, but at-least u finish the route! No worries about the thread, my worries where put aside after hearing from basher and b&b!

If you get more snow i will come help, and with my light dimming problem it will look like a rave in my truck while plowing.

I will listen to Reina.....please dont stop the music music:bluebounc

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Tim....you might as well have the Alternator tested at the same time you do the battery. Most Auto Parts stores do it free.

16. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

check the ground. often corrosion is the culprit and a cheap easy fix

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Rule of thumb, if you change the alternator then change the battery.

I won't have thought an 05 would have needed either. After a busy year of 3 plows you might need both.

We have salter 10 times and going for #11 tonight. This is getting out of control.

18. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks Bud, im going to get it tested 2morrow. I just went to the store and notice my headlights are also dimming!:dizzy:

Thankyou, i will check for this 2morrow also!

Thanks cet, i wish i could have said i plowed 33 times, but not in my real life! I will have the alternator check also! Looks like you will get a break tuesday/ wed with a cool rain!