1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Base Angle Trip Spring

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bikernut, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bikernut

bikernut Junior Member

Has any one got a video on how to change a spring on my 9' straight Fisher Plow safely, or can some one tell me how to do so safely as I know they pack a lot of force and what little smarts I have I would like to keep them. Truck is a 2003 GMC 3500 Dump with a Fisher 9' MM2 plow. thanks
  2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Fisher sells a spring tool for about $25 bucks, so you have to decide if the safety is worth $25, if you decide it is do not use an impact gun with the tool as it will strip the threads use a hand tool only.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a lonq awl and a block of wood I cant believe that anyone would waste money on a tool. There is really no presure there until it trips. Ive done 7.6 8ft 9ft and extreme v plows all easy as pie Ive even used a long screwdriver.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Ok i am lost

can i just take them off and put them back on with no tool ? I want to sandblast and paint :mechanic:
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

U dont need a tool, guys on here like to make a big out of things that are not.
  7. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Ok cool

So just take off bottom bolt and pull out ? And put back in when done paint with new bolt and nut?
    thanks for your info man i thought they had tension on them all the time
  8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They should be in there just snug. Actually sometimes they will feel loose when the plow is sitting. Its getting them back in that can be a struggle. However they only need to be compressed a 1/2" or so. If you have the tool its easy, if not or on older plows a good bar/pipe clamp on the bottom of the assmebly up to the top of the upper spring rest, will allow enough to get the bolt in.