1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Base Angle Repair - Welding

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ding, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Ding

Ding Member

Has anybody ever repaired the brackets for the trip springs on the base angle by welding plate steel on and redrilling the holes? The cutting edge was not replaced when it should have been, and the base angle was worn so much that the hole where the trip springs mount is half gone. I realize that this would not be optimum as support for the cutting edge is missing. However, this is a single location farm plow that is used very lightly so it is not worth putting much money into..

This is on an old RD SpeedCast conventional plow. I have a 1" x 6" rubber strip to throw on under the old cutting edge once I get the springs to stay on. Right now I plan to simply butt weld (bevel ground) small steel plates of the same thickness as the bracket back on and redrill the holes.

Anybody want to offer any input on this?
  2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 8' HD. Because I plow commercially and plan on keeping the blade for as long as I plow. I did a total rebuild and refinish and opted to replace the base angle with a new one. It cost me 500 bennies! You should have no problems butt welding plates with new holes for the springs.
  3. Ding

Ding Member

Anybody else have any input?
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

buy or make up a new bracket and weld it on.....seems pretty simple to me, the bracket doesn't have to be in the same shape, as long as that hole is the same distance away from the top as it's suppose to be.
  5. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

Spring Mount

Fisher sells this bracket. Burn off the old ones, weld on the new ones, load the springs in a press and pin them, and 3hrs later you are done.
  6. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I did the same fix last year. I'll look at my plow tomorrow and let you know how I did it. I don't exactly remember right now.
  7. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

Hi Ding,
    I see someone else already mentioned on here that we sell replacement "gus feet" which is what we call those brackets. Might be a whole lot easier job to just buy however many you need and replace the worn units with new ones.
  8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Ding, dont know what you have on the farm for equipment but a simple fix is to get a couple of hard washers ( structural or grade8 ) and locate them at the center of the old hole. Mark the GUS FEET and burn out enough room for the washer to go into place. Hold them in with a clamp and weld in place. Clean up with a grinder and re install the spring.

On a safety note. That old plow does not have the safety holes or plates in the springs most likely. Flip the plow up on it's face. use a come a long and attach to the base angle and up to the bottom of the aframe and pull the trip edge back into tripped position. Take a power drill or torch and pierce a hole in the flat center plate for the springs and install a 1/4" or 3/8" bolt with nut and the relieve the pressure with the come along. This will hole the springs in place while doing the other repair. Then put the new bolts in the spring bases and take out the ones you put in to hold the springs.

I would imagine that the bottom of the trip springs are shot too and you can just take a couple of washers and weld them to both sides of the remaining steel on the bottoms or cut them out the same way and weld like the base angle piece.

Sorry, been on the farm a long time and know what you might be up against on repairs. Torch and welder are wonderful things on sunday when the baler or the picker go down.

Best of luck on it. Jerre
  9. Ding

Ding Member

Thanks for the replies guys . . .

I may end up doing the farm thing, and yes you are on target . . . Make it work with you have is something I am very used to . . .

However, I should at least get a price on replacement "gus feet". Who stocks "gus feet" for the old conventional plows? What price range are they in?

I have 2 new springs with plates, and 1 one original to go on it. I haven't looked that close at the original one, but I think that it is ok.