1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Base angle questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ROHess, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ROHess

ROHess Junior Member

Gentlemen;

I have a few questions about base angles and plow names that Western is using has used in the past.
    1.. I have an older Western 7.6, the markings on the decal say: 60018 7'-6'' STD 3401180 Which is the serial number, What model is it, Pro Series, Standard Duty (is there such a thing), Mid Weight etc?

2.. Were older Pro Series available in 9.0 also?

3.. What names did Western use in the past/old days..ex.. Pro Series, Standard Duty, etc.?

4.. When was the lower base angle on the Pro Series changed from a simple 90 to a manfactured angle resembling an upside down U?

5.. Is there a data base that lists serial numbers and tells what model it is using that number available online?

Thanks in advance...
    Rick

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Hi Rick,
    I can answer most of your questions.

1: 60018 was the part number for the 7-1/2' standard steel blade. It was used mostly on unimount plows, before unimount on the conventional mount plows, and after unimount on ultramount plows up to about 2003.
    The pro plow would be the heavier duty plow with 7 ribs instead of 4, 3 or 4 springs instead of two, and a shock on the back of the blade in addition to the springs. the ultramount standard steel and standard poly plows ended up being replaced by the midweight steel and poly.
    2: yes, there was a 9' pro. that would not be interchangable with this standard blade though.
    3: there are quite a few different series of Western plows. There are three 'generations' of Western mounts (conventional, unimount and ultramount), and all those had several blades to choose from. In the current generation (Ultramount) there are the HTS (half ton plow), Midweight in steel and poly and 3 sizes, Pro in steel and poly, Pro Plus in 4 sizes, MVP+ in steel and poly and 3 sizes, and the Wide-Out plow with the hydraulic wings.
    4: the angle the cutting edge bolts to would be an angle on that standard blade, and on the pro plows. the newer design blades have more of an upside down channel design (midweight and pro plus)
    5: I've never come across a database like that, and until recent years the serial number was only on the power unit anyway, so it could have been sold with various blades.

3. ROHess

ROHess Junior Member

Thanks Nealy

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no problem. what are you trying to figure out? is your base angle ground away or something? or are you just trying to tell how old your plow is?

5. ROHess

ROHess Junior Member

Nealy;

One of the businesses I'm involved in is BackDragBlades, llc and we are trying to keep our blades up to date and be able to answer questions that come up. The manufactured base angle affects the design of the BDB (it's bent twice and has welded gussets for strength the length of the blade). The top measurement of the three sided design is the critical measurement since that's what keeps the BDB from riding up. Boss did this several years ago and we had to make an ''old style'' and a ''new style''. Anyway, probably more that you wanted to know about BackDragBlades but really.... thanks again.

Rick

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ahhh! ok I gotcha.