1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Barlight stolen!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by landscaper3, Dec 2, 2002.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

You cannot be safe anywhere these days, My bar light was stolen off my company truck over the weekend and doing so they sledge-hammered my roof in to take it. Total damage came to $2,890.00 Alot of the cost was for the Whelen 60" strobe bar.

2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Hope you can find out who did it and teach them a lesson they so deserve
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

sorry dude, that sucks!
    hope you find out who did it so you can have a nice little chat with them!
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thats terrible. I cannot beleive the things that happen these days. Will the insureance cover most of it? I would never think that a strobe bar would be such a hot comodoty :D I dont imagine that the police have any suspects either, thats too bad, you've got my sympathy, we had a vandal loose with a spray can last year, est $30,000 damages, its very disgusting.:realmad:
  5. landscaper3

Yes the insurance should cover most if not all but do I replace the light and if so will need to be fixed somehow so it wont happen agian. Boy my truck looks naked without that bar light, and those 10 or so blows with a sledge-hammer are a real eye sore!
  6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I feel for you!
    My Boss V got stolen last year, so I know how you feel.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Brian, I hope you find out who it was and have a little chat with him.

No need to call any cops. Just take care of business and the word gets out.
  8. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

that sure is strange, who would want to steal a lightbar. I mean you could steal the truck the plow etc but just the lightbar? It just seems a little strange to me. Boy some people sure are mean these days.
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

catch the lil bazterds and show them that plow truck drivers arent a breed to be messed with. I hope you find out who dun it because that sucks

10. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Look at the bright side, maybe you can now order a new
    whelen with the LED in the middles.???

Always trying to look at the bright side. Did you have
    the gutter mounts and screwed to the cab, they had to do
    a lot of damage if so.

Should of damaged the light bar, or at least the mounts in the process. Did they cut the supply wires too.?

I am very interested as I have a similier model.
  11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Wow that sucks, I thought that only snowmobiles got stolen in maine.
  12. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I might be posing an obvious question/reminder here, but does everyone have on file the serial number for their lightbar and other equipment?

I work in the Service Department at Code 3, and have a file I keep on bars that were reported stolen. Surprisingly, I check quite a few of the serial numbers I come in contact with. Especially if there is a cable cut short, damage at the mounting points, etc. Also, most of the serial numbers can be easily removed, so it's a good idea to mark the bar somehow. Could be as simple as a couple of center punch marks on a section of the frame. (Take a pic of the mark, and file with your manual, etc). Will help in identification later perhaps. I can't speak for Whelen and the other manufacturers, but I personally don't mind working a little late when I see a suspicious bar. Maybe it's a long shot, but I don't mind "keeping an eye out" for a bar that "probably has a serial number missing, and has two center punch marks at [location] on the frame" that a customer reported stolen to me. Probably won't help get this one back, but might help someone in the future recover theirs.

Just my 0.02 worth.
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had someone steal the lens off my beacon at the firehouse parking lot one night, no damage done though. I feel for you, you've got a nice looking truck, and looks like a Diamond plow.
  14. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

how do you go about stealing a plow? was it attached to the truck?@!
  15. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

People really suck! Thats a shame, I thought you have a really nice looking truck too. I've seen other pics of it on this site and always thought it was very sharp. Hope you catch the dumb **** and teach him a lesson.:realmad:
  16. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

When My V blade got stolen it was setting in my drive way wedged between the car and truck. ( CAR < TRUCK ) Someone picked up the 880# blade off of the ground and didnt leave even a skid mark on the driveway.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2002
  17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I know most Vollunteer Fireman are great people, but my money is on a young or new member of an area VFD. These types get all wrapped into the light show for their vehicles, yet dont have the money to buy a 1000.00 light bar, so they swipe one. Or the person knows someone looking for a lightbar and sell it cheap to a volley.
    There was a kid when I was growing up that got arrested trying to steal a lightbar of a State Police cruiser. Talk about stupid. He grew out of this stage and is a very nice guy now, but some of these guys just gotta have a big light bar, by any means.
    I see alot of Mid 80's econo cars running around with huge light bars on them. the light is worth more than the car.
    Or one other possibility is a falg vehicle for large loads.
  18. landscaper3

Up date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Upon pulling out of one of our condominiums we maintain, an old Chevy passed me by as I sat to merge into traffic. Long behold this guy had a bar light like mine! So I decided to follow him as it did look suspicios, the bar light was mounted on one of those RAZOR back spoilers and was at a real angle do to the spoiler (looked wrong!) I chased him through town and finally darted into a driveway, I called the police and met me there and LORD BEHOLD my bar light!!!!! Made him rip it off his truck immidetly! He told us he bought it out the back of a van at Walmart! GEEE that didnt send a reg flag up? Anyways I hope the bugerlers dont breed or the prison population will be crowded!
  19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I thought something looked different with that truck in the picture you posted (the pic of my rig thread). Glad to hear you got it back Brian.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2003
  20. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Awesome. justice finally pays off. you got real lucky. just means somebodys still on the loose though reselling stolen goods.