1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bareground

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HandyHaver, Nov 2, 2001.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Has anybody ever heard of or used this liquid de-icer product. I saw an ad in Popular Mech. Talked with them and they said it could be used to treat salt and have same effects as other popular products, low corrosion, residual effect .............. anyway they offered it in 5gal pals and the price was right so I thought I would give it a shot.

Mark

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I saw that. Ask John Parker or Mike Nelson to sell you a five gallon pail of what they sell.... it'll be at half the price and the same product.

Someone has packaged up Ice Ban (or a like product) and are marketing it well...

Sorta reminds me of the old saying... you can sell s--- in a bag if you market it right..... (it's called milorganite).

3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

John,

Tried that.........Most of those guys are interested in selling large quanities (not knocking them). I'm just looking to carry one de-icer when I'm doing my measly 25 res. I called bareground, got quoted a price, ordered a 5 gal pail and they shipped it all in one phone call. If it works like they say and I don't have to crawl inside the back of my truck for a bag of cal or salt I'll pay a few extra dollars a gallon for the stuff. They also state that 6 gal will treat a ton......I'll let you know

Mark

4. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have bareground and have used small amounts. i buy in 5 gal pails. have no complaints. i like buying in pails. will treat some of my salt this year.

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

How ould you treat the salt when you are buying it by the bag to put in a tailgate hopper/spreader?

6. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i treat bulk salt. no one close enough to me to get bagged, shipping runs price up. we do use bagged on walks from local fertilizer co. not salt though.called hydro melt- 40lb bag @ $4.42 per bag

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

But is there a way to treat the salt as you are dumping it into the hopper? Or is treating salt mainly for bulk salt?

8. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

my guess would be to use a hand sprayer 1-2 gallon and spray while dumping salt in spreader. would require 2 people. or small tank electric pump and spray as you spread.

9. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I was planning to dump 5-6 bags at a time out on a tarp, spray it down with a hand sprayer and then shovel it back into a couple of those plastic storage containers...........Yes it's "Mickey" but I don't have a need for that much salt.

Mark

10. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

BE CAREFUL

Bare Ground is not the same product as last year and could get you in trouble if not used correctly
    John Parker
    Taconic Maintenance Inc/New York Snow Pros

11. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

John,

Could you elaborate on that. Do you mean using it in its liquid form, or treating salt?? I drove 3.5 hrs to your bbq to check out magic. I got there late but did get a free sample bag. I wanted to get Magic but can't seem to get just a couple of 5 gal pails. As far as I know there is nobody in my area (Phila burbs) using it. Plenty of commercial need around here, imo.

Mark

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Mark
    You should have brought some empty 5 gal pails. I am sure John would have filled them for you. The magic per gallon is around 2.00 per gallon p/u at his shop.
    Dino

13. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Dino,

Hind sight???

I didn't really know what it was all about or I would have. That was one hell of a ride up there from Phila.. but I got my free bag of magic . (LOL)

Mark

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

A 55 gal drum is 2.28 a gallon, and I am assumming that includes the drum. Add whatever for shipping and you have your magic.
    Seems just about anywhere to Poukeepski is trek.
    Dino

15. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

And from what I read after the BBQ getting there is the easy part. Didn't you all have a fun time wiht the one way streets?

Bruce

16. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Well I finally got my magic. John Parker was is Phila spraying a couple of "Mountains" of salt for NJ dot. That new mixer is awesome. Anyway John hooked me up bigtime with some magic.
    Didn't get a chance to buy ya lunch John, maybe next time you are in town.........Thanks again!!

Mark