1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bar Keepers Friend

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, May 24, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was redoing my 7 pin trailer hookup today. The pins were all corroded - think the salt has anything to do with that?:dizzy:

Anyhow, she drank the last Diet Coke, and we didn't have any vinegar. And I was definitely not going to use my last half of a Moxie. So I looked around under the sink and found the BKF. I mixed a pretty strong solution in a plastic cup, and went at it with a toothbrush. Almost immediately I had nice shiny contacts.:redbounce I rinsed it well, and sprayed with Fluid Film.

Saved a $30 plug.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Good tip! A wise man encouraged me to use CLR and that worked like a dream also.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What no before or after PIC'S ?????????????????

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're not familiar with the product, here's their website. Should be in the household chemicals aisle.

http://barkeepersfriend.com/products.htm

Well, here's the after pic of the trailer harness.
    trailerplugafter.jpg
    I don't know what those shiny spots are, can't really see them with the naked eye. Might be the FF.
    I also cleaned up the plug to my sander last nite

PolyCasterplugbefore.jpg
    PolyCasterplugafter.jpg

trailerplugafter.jpg

PolyCasterplugbefore.jpg

PolyCasterplugafter.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have not seen Bar Keepers Friend for a long time! Mom and Grandma's swore by it ! I will see if I can find it around here. I remember it was better then comet or another cleanser's.
    I am always cleaning something up to paint or detail.

6. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

It also works great to polish up the stainless V-Box. All the rust stains even the ones by the weld clean up to like new.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Used dryer softener sheets work great for cleaning. Kinda like fine steel wool or 400 grit sand paper.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Cleaned up some tools with Bar Keepers Friend tonight. Works really well at removing surface rust, like if you left them out in the rain.;)

Of course, follow up with Fluid Film.