1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bar for my Excursion

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Bruinzfan, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

Hi all! Been snooping on the site for some time but just joined the ranks with a 9'2" Stainless V added to my Excursion 7.3. I upgraded the springs at all 4 corners first of course.

My question is this....Is there anyone that can give me some advise on mounting a light bar. I am hoping to mount it to the roof rack. LED is the direction I am leaning towards. I am thinking full size if I go this route. I feel the smaller mag mounts may have a lot of blind spots between the length of the roof and the roof rack.

Thank you all!

Keith

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't run it while its snowing unless you like snow blindness.

3. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

Sugestions? Most likely I'll be plowing streets.

4. 1olddogtwo

Mount on plow itself, over head light will cause too much reflection

5. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

I think we are on different pages. I meant an LED light bar or Strobe lights. Amber in color. Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm looking for options for attaching it to the luggage rack.

Thank you just the same.

Keith

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Some light bars have the "J" hookes that mount to the inner door jam....Like cop cars. That could work. Or your just gunna have to fab something up.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I use a magnetic led on my F350 CC that has a cap on the bed. Light is very easy to see when it's on.

8. 1olddogtwo

9. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

Thank you all!! Much appreciated!

10. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

I'm thinking about going with the Wolo 7900-A. It's a 48" lightbar. I am just not sure about the length and how it will look. If I remember correctly the roof rack is 47" cross member to cross member. I was thinking a 50" but look better but I really like all the features of the 7900.

(This is if I can get yet another toy past the DW!) LOL

Thanks all.

Keith

11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Dont do white. Just going to point out that technically white isn't legal in MA for anyone other than emergency vehicles. Amber is the way to go, also reflects off the snow less. Check out Strobes N More since they have interior lightbars that go along the upper windshield, and then throw some form of window mounted light in the rear. Should work fine.

12. rjk512

rjk512 Member

If you want 360 degree visibility, rooftop lightbar is the way to go. If you want something a little more discreet and something that doesn't stick out as much, go with an interior setup.

As far as mounting to the luggage rack goes I'd check with the lightbar manufacturer, I do believe it is possible because I've seen it done around here, just depends on who installs it and/or if the manufacturer offers brackets.