1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Banks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr Patrick, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Mr Patrick

Mr Patrick Junior Member

I do a number of banks, 70% of my work 1/2 contract the rest per push. Anyone have a problem with the islands being of real sof tconcrete. They seem to chip and flake at the slightest touch. Also are the flashing lights and back up horn a draw for people pulling behind you in your blind spot like me. Maybe just a rant Patrick

2. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Soft Curbs

I think a lot of commercial lots have those curbing companies come in and they use more of a sand/cement mix minus the rocks used in true concrete and it seems to make softer more like mortar then cement type curbs around the islands. Could be part of the reason why they crumble so easy at the slightest scrub or tap from a plow blade.

George

3. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

what blind spot

Didn't you know that everyone thinks that plow operators are one of those critters that can see everywhere at once.
    And, that if you follow the plow you're certain to be safe - so, the closer you follow the safer you are.

4. Mr Patrick

Mr Patrick Junior Member

A bank i did last year was in the middle of a change over and all the concreste was poured in the winter, my brother was the driver for this place and they put so much calcium in the mix it was still hot a week later not much for strength. The finisher made it look nice but it is flaking now. Asphalt lane and cr*p curbs If cars and trucks can bust it how do they figure I wont bust it Patrick

5. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Soft Curbs

Now that I think about it I they are made soft on purpose for a reason. I can't count the number of times in the past couple of years I've seen cars operated by senior drivers drive over parking lot curbs and have this "deer in the headlights" look as they drag the undercarriage of their cars over the curbs. Buick needs to make a 4x4 version of their cars with some ground clearance so these folks can cruise over the curbs and tire stops for parking spaces and their low slung cars won't hang up and drag. Me, I just smile and drive away, glad that I'm not riding my motorcycle behind their oil belching cars once the oil pan is holed.

Glad I'll never get old. Yeah right.

George

6. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

haha...:p that's funny. Unfortunately we all get old guaranteed. Hopefully we don't all start jumping curbs and puncturing the oil pan... :D

:)

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You think it's bad in a pickup, it's at least 10x worse in a Loader or Skidsteer.